AuthorTopic: Round 2: Bonzai-ish tree  (Read 6498 times)

Offline theorb77

• View Profile

Round 2: Bonzai-ish tree

on: October 06, 2010, 07:22:47 pm
You may recall my having done a Bonzai as my first art here.  I revisited that and tried to do a little hue shifting, a more simplified and stylized leaf style, and tried my hand at some anti-aliasing.  I think I'm having some trouble with banding as yet and I didn't really make the roots work, or the shadow.  The background is a bit of an afterthought.

Comments/criticism?

Offline had0c

• View Profile

Re: Round 2: Bonzai-ish tree

Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 09:13:16 pm
now this is only me talking, but you should not make the pixels so "large" it looks more that it is upscaled then anything..

but i do get some lucasart feal over it all.

Offline Drakojin

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 09:25:44 pm
The tree itself looks sort of off balance. I keep thinking the leaves are just going to slide off.

Offline theorb77

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 05:08:57 pm
Well, the "large" pixels were actually a choice.  I wanted to give a simplified, textured feel.  I didn't want it to look straight out of a topiary.

I was hoping for some commentary on the grass and the shadow under the tree, as I think those parts are especially causing issues.  Oh, and banding, as I'm not totally sure I avoided it as I'm not totally clear on how to avoid it.

And maybe some commentary on palette choice.  And a pony.

Offline thedaemon

• thedaemon
    • View Profile
    • personal website

Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 01:58:16 am
The sky banding is the only thing I don't like. Everything else looks cherry. Maybe thicken up the roots under the weight of the tree.
gemini://thedaemons.space
https://thedaemons.space

Offline Infinite Segment

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 08:49:25 am
I think that the pixelated look on the canopy kind of clashes with with the detail on the rest of the piece.
Also, at least on my monitor the bright side of the root look like it is made of a single color which doesn't look good. (on closer examination I noticed that there are 2 colors there)
I whipped up a very quick edit:

I just changed that hard to see color a bit so it will be easier to see the detail. (it also makes the trunk a bit more consistent with the lighting on the canopy imo)
I also broke a few of the pixel blocks in the center so you can see how the canopy looks without the "simplified, textured feel", also in a very simple manner just to get a feel of what it would look like.

As for shadow and grass (what you asked for feedback on); I think the grass is quite nice, it does a nice job of conveying "grass" without using many colors and is very "silent" so it does not take the attention away from the focus of the piece (the tree), the same is true for the background. The shadow however... It looks to me like it doesn't exactly conform to the shape of the canopy, I suggest you decide exactly where your light source is (in terms of angle from the ground) and just draw lines to see where the shadow from the canopy's edges should land and draw the shadow accordingly, currently my instincts say that the shadow is drawn as if the light source is at 30 degree angle and the lighting on the canopy suggests more of a 40 degree angle.

But maybe that's just me :)  (I think the first thing you should do with any criticism is try and see whether you think it is correct :P)

EDIT: Is it just me or did the palette change in more than one color in my edit? :X I wonder what I did wrong :X
Anyway, just try and change what I changed in my edit and see if you like it better, shouldn't take long at all :S
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 09:02:11 am by Infinite Segment »
^
||
NOOB

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 10:00:44 am
You almost never used more than one pixel for AAing, I think it would help a lot if you increased the buffer zones for the AA pixels.
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline theorb77

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 09:01:22 am
An update:

I'll work on the AA later.  I don't get much time to pixel, so I did what most people didn't like first.

Offline thedaemon

• thedaemon
    • View Profile
    • personal website

Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 10:32:33 pm
Those people were silly, now it looks worse.
gemini://thedaemons.space
https://thedaemons.space

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 02:36:18 pm
I agree i think it does look alot worse now. I'd try looking at some examples of pattern dither (which is what your trying to do), the main point seems to be that not all of the pattern is the same size, giving a textured yet smoother feel.

eg. *is too lazy to look up more* >__>
http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/17178.htm#