AuthorTopic: Killer [WIP]  (Read 6268 times)

Offline Demon11777

• View Profile

Killer [WIP]

on: October 05, 2010, 04:11:59 am
Been working on this guy for a bit. his first pose was supposed to be him with his arm wrapped around his sword just chillin but it just looked weird no matter how I did it(2nd pic) Then  I tried it with his arm up but It still looked awful so i just put the sword in a He-Man kinda pose. I tried to re do the hair a few times because something about it bothers me but nothing seemed to fix it. Just looking for some general C+C.  P.S.I know the shading on the sword is off because it's still the same as when it was behind his head so just ignore that for now:P

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Row Row Fight The Powah!

Offline Alastor

• View Profile

Re: Killer [WIP]

Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 05:04:40 am
I don't really like his awkward arm placement.
maybe try bending his elbow in more?

Offline SwapBrain

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 09:17:52 am
Part or the problem is that to my thinking, resting an appropriately sharpened double-edged sword of that size on your bare shoulders would be problematic cut your arms off at the shoulders.

Just speaking about the pose, it seems that either the arm going over the handle would project forward on the z-axis, or it would grasp the handle and hang down. (Try it with a broom or something - that is what I did.)

Offline Lukkas

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 09:18:34 am
The main flaw I see is that his arms and legs appear out of proportion. You seem to be going for a mostly-anatomically-correct-but-still-anime-ish style here, but that clashes with the proportions of his arms and legs. His arms appear a little bit too long in comparison to his legs, and his legs also look too thin.

I actually think the hair looks pretty nice. :) If you're worried about the shading on anything, I'd say the pants need work. They have a sort of gradient-shading going on right now, and I feel it's actually causing some problems with the way the pose reads.  I understand the pose you're conveying, but it comes across strangely because the shading on the legs doesn't properly reflect it. His left leg is supposed to be forward I think, and the other leg back and behind, with his knee bent somewhat. The feet appear correctly placed, but either the size of the legs in comparison to one another is off, or the shading is creating the illusion that they are. I'm not quite sure which it is.

Of the poses you've shown, I think the 2nd looks best. The first one it appears the sword is just kind of balancing on his neck, and in the third, the sword appears far too large to be held that way. I agree with Alastor that if you go with the second pose, you should work on the elbow. That's the main element causing it to appear off.

If you want to consider another holding position altogether, might I suggest something like this?

http://www.thearma.org/essays/langk1.jpg

I know the legs are in the wrong position, but I'm referring to the way of holding the blade. With a sword of that size, one of the few poses that would be comfortable is to rest the flat of the blade against the shoulder. This may look more natural than your other poses.

Hopefully I've made sense. You've got a good thing going on here, and it appears to be coming along nicely, but it needs a few tweaks. :)

Offline Platypotter

• I'm all revved up!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 08:40:56 pm
Yes actually i would angle parts of the arms toward the camera/viewpoint instead of keeping them strictly on an X/Y axis.
So in other words, try a bit of perspective.

Offline Demon11777

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 05:02:15 am
Hey guys, thanks for all the comments and such. Im looking into everything that was said and thought I would put up a little update. I thinks it's a pretty decent improvement :] .

Uploaded with ImageShack.us Sword is not shaded yet obviously :P.
Row Row Fight The Powah!

Offline what

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 09:58:13 pm
you could decrease the color count considerably. there are many very unnecessary colors

Offline Tenshi

• Seraphic Radiance
    • View Profile
    • Tenshi Animetion

Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 01:04:41 am
Changing the colors on the far leg definitely helps make it appear in the background. Don't forget shading of the skin near the sword. :)
Jaeda / Jade

Offline Demon11777

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 10:37:44 pm
Put alot of hours into this and I am actually kinda liking how its turning out  :crazy:  Any C+C would be appreciated! Haven't  shaded the sword/ handle much yet.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Row Row Fight The Powah!

Offline circuscommando

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 11:47:45 pm
it looks better certainly.  But now that you've brought the back leg forward it no longer demands the intense shading you've added (to the last leg position).  The sword also looks pretty good, i'd be careful about banding though, especially on the skull. very nice :)
he hobbles and hobbles.