AuthorTopic: Lurch  (Read 9239 times)

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Lurch

on: October 04, 2010, 07:33:30 pm

Alright, I'm going to be making a game, and the characters are going to be heads that hop around (because of the timeframe I'm working with here).  The game is going to be very intentionally basic in terms of art, so I'm going to stay around 4 colors per character.

Here is a Frankenstein-type of dude:

I'm at school right now, so this is the best of a sketch I could do in twenty minutes.  I know the forehead for sure needs attention for sure, but what else can you point out? Also, I just noticed now that the eye is still messed up from flipping it, but I have a test to get to in a few minutes.

All C+C is greatly appreciated.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Re: Lurch

Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 07:11:29 am
I like the style a lot!

And basiclly because of the style there isn't much to change about it. Only flaws I can see is the right (his left) eyebrow thats pointing out a bit too much and the eye aswell underneath it as u mentioned needs fixing.

Offline Lukkas

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 09:03:34 am
Neat looking concept, I like it :)

I must confess I really like coffee's edit however. I'd definitely recommend adding the ears, and cleaning up the lines on the forehead. Maybe a single stitch horizontally across his forehead could be nice, but the current arrangement of lines is a bit too busy. I also approve of the increased shadow under the right eye.

Bolts in the neck could be a good addition too, especially if you decide against ears. It'd give the sprite a more interesting silhouette and improve its readability. As is, he's mostly just a cylinder.

Very cool idea. I'd love to see his bouncing animation when you get around to it. :)

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 02:48:02 pm
Thank you for the pointers!

Here's what I got so far:

Ears were a great idea.  I want to be careful not to get rid of the rectangle-ness, so I tried to add them subtly.
I'm still having troubles rendering the nose as properly as I would like. The bolts maybe look a little funky on the cheeks as they are--what do you think?
I'm going to start on the next head anyways.

Also, just a quick thank you:
I'm working on these between the small time I get between classes, and I am really thankful that Pixelation exists to help me fine tune to a further degree than I normally could in such short bursts of working.  Honestly, thanks!

EDIT:

Here is the next dude:

He's a monkey, but he's not too thrilled about it.

Grew from a doodle in class.  Not so much just a head, I know I know, but I like how it looked on paper so i went with it.
I don't know about the hair so much--I need to do something more interesting I think.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 07:08:00 pm by Rydin »
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Platypotter

• I'm all revved up!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 11:52:19 pm
How about placing the ears a bit higher and defining them more? It'll add to the fact that he hates bein' a monkeh! :lol:

Offline Lukkas

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 03:39:29 am
I really like the modified Lurch :) My only suggestions would be to maybe make the bolts a little larger, and I think the highlight on his nose is too big. It looks a little off. Everything else is great I think. :)

I like the concept for the monkey. I agree with Platypotter though that you should raise the ears, and make them larger. Maybe more round, saucer-shaped, to make him look more like a monkey. I also think the fur isn't very well defined just yet. You've made little tufts of hair to show it's fur along the edges, but they're too sharp and unnatural. Try making the hairs curl more. Maybe cut away from the block a little bit more as well, as he's a little over-dominated by the monotone blue. I think it'd also look good if maybe you add a little tuft of hair on the top of his chest. It'd make the transition to the chest much more natural I think.

Really cool concept, and I'm sure he'll look great in another iteration or two. :)

Offline what

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 10:39:38 pm
I really like whats goin on here. :D
3 things:
The bolts on the modified Lurch should be much larger, other than that it's really good
The lightest color on the monkey is very unnecessary, it could easily be replaced with the light pink, and changed to a darker blue to give the fur more depth.
The monkey's chest could have more perspective, and round off more. it kinda looks like a shirt decal :P

Offline Grinner

• <3
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 03:42:27 am
I think the latest edit of the frankenstien head looks good, but like others mentioned, the bolts should be bigger. Also, I don't know if it's just me, but they don't really look very 3D, I imagine them as cylinders, but they just look flat ATM (not sure if you want them to be flat or not).

Also, the monkey looks good, and as someone mentioned it should look more bummed that it's a monkey, maybe add some bags under the eyes and more relaxed/wrinkled skin. Another thing, the face doesn't look to monkey-like, it seems more human to me.
Also, in don't think the chest fits, seeing as you said you wanted the characters to be heads, but the chest is part if the torso so...

All in all they look great, and I live the concept of the rectangular heads :D

Offline zez

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 07:49:21 pm
Im going to post a tad against the grain. Not touching lurch here, because the rest of the critique on him is pretty dead on, but the monkey SHOULD keep his overly human face. I think it really adds to the sense that he's not to happy to be a monkey (by making him look sort of like a man in a monkey suite) and I dont particularly think the chest needs to pop more then it already does. I do however, think that the chest needs to have the same light source as the rest of the monkey. The face, currently, is lit from the right side, pretty much straight on, giving it a nice cell shaded look. Although this is theoretically wrong for game sprites (when you flip it, the shading will also flip, thus the standard is top lit,) it looks really good on the monkey. The problem, is his chest is lit from the top right near as I can tell, and as of such does not look like part of the same piece.
Other then that, my only real critique is that the blue fur stands out a bit tooo much, basically coming across as negative space. That could look cool, with the right background, but you might want to consider adding in another shade or two of blue to define the shape of the body a bit.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 02:29:15 pm
Lurch

-made bolts bigger
-messed with lightness/darkness as I see it became faint colored on accident

Monkey Soot

-played with ears
-removed white and opted for a light blue to texture the fur. great suggestion!
-tried to better render the hair
-bumped the chest over a little bit

French Bitché

-very very very rough sketch (done in 5 minutes)
-she's French

I think I like the direction I'm going where its more of a whole body than just a head.  We shall see.
As always, comments and critique is greatly appreciated guys!  Tell me what you think.

Offline meagz

• View Profile
    • iamnotadoll

Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 11:24:54 pm
the french bitche looks totally out of place compared to the other two - i thought you were going to continue using the rectangle shape? the colours are also really similar and lack contrast.

i love the other two though. 'he's a monkey, but he's not too thrilled about it'. haha. please tell me you're going to write little biographies for each of them when you're done! lurch looks pretty unhappy too. are you going to continue the theme of unhappy characters?

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 04:36:14 am
Before and After

-made her more 'boxy' like the previous two
-addressed contrast issue...better?
-jokingly added le cigarette as it makes sense that le french would le smoke le cigarette.
-there will be story. they are for a game!
-well unhappy wasn't intentional but I can see why you say that. I don't know.  Lurch was supposed to look determined.  Monkey Soot is supposed to look disinterested.  Le French Bitché is supposed to look seductive, illegal, and kinky...perhaps even old.  Did I pull that off?

Offline what

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 07:07:58 pm
this new ones not really working for me.  :(
i dig the concept, but she is very non squarish. She looks weird in comparison to the other, and her forehead is very large. A few slight changes would make her look a lot better.
These gonna be animated?  :D

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 03:30:45 pm
Le Car

I wanted to make Le French Bitché a car.
Used this (http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/2609/carref.png) for a reference, and traced a bit to get the general base outline. (Oh no, so naughtyyyyy  >:D)  But the shading and lighting, cleaning and rendering is all my own.

I hate how the hubcaps came out, but the rest reminds me of Street Rod, so it makes me happy.  (those unfamiliar with Street Rod can see some cars here http://larsenweb.net/oldcranfieldsite/50s.gif and here http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/vegasvento/capture1.jpg) Another thing I hope that I nailed is the proportion to the characters.  How did I do?

@what:
you no like her? :( What few changes do you suggest and why? More square and smaller forehead?

Edit:
Already found a mondo mistake on the running board and fixed it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 03:51:58 pm by Rydin »

Offline what

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 06:57:57 pm
Dont get me wrong. i wasnt trying to be overly harsh
Now after looking at her for more time, she looks better. My problem is the forehead, cuz i find it very distracting. 

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 06:28:48 pm
Dont get me wrong. i wasnt trying to be overly harsh
Oh no no no, I was just confused about which slight changes you were suggesting.  Sorry if I came off as aggravated or something!  :(

French Girl

-lowered the hair (to eliminate the profound forehead)
-also realized that it is washed out compared to original.  (I have to keep an eye on how I save in Photoshop...)

I'm starting on the level objects now, so I don't know how many more characters I'm going to design at this time.  Making characters like this is very fun though, and I see myself doing it sometime in the future.
But out of interest of time, I -have- to work on level items and obstacles.

Pumpkin

-will be smashed in-game

Let me know how you feel!

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 12:45:00 pm

I made an edit, tried to make her look more feminine.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 04:21:46 pm
I like what you did with the nose, bengoshia!
A critique about your edit if you don't mind: the dark pink isn't working as aa.  It's actually doing the opposite and making the edge of the face more jagged.

Here's the latest:

-still messing with colors.  I'm going to do a finalizing process after every image is done.
-girls are hard to nail... but it will be totally worth it  8)