AuthorTopic: [NetGAIN]: Post-Cyberpunk (WIP)(C+C)  (Read 5108 times)

Offline Sintua

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

[NetGAIN]: Post-Cyberpunk (WIP)(C+C)

on: November 02, 2010, 07:12:12 pm
Hi everyone! First time posting, so let me know if if I'm doing something wrong. :-[

(WIP): Although these are drawn to the look I would want them to be when finished, the content, tone, or even style can still change depending on insight and feedback.
(C+C): I'm looking for a critique on all aspect of the art, so if you see anything to comment or crit, please open up!

This is for a project called [NetGAIN], a post-cyberpunk open world game.
These are the first draft of assets for the game. Now, the game will actually be in 3d, but the graphics are pixel art (think "minecraft"). I checked the FAQ and I hope since the focus is on communicating information with limited pixels, you'll agree it belongs here.

First are the basic tiles used for the game. Keep in mind these are sometimes made of pieces so I'm not showing every permutation there is. For example, the girders are made up of the n shape, the bottom bar, the cross girders, and the side-tarp. All the props shown on the brick wall can be put on any wall.

These are all 32x32, but sized up 200% for ease of viewing. The gameworld is built out of these tiles (again, think minecraft, but w/o the player building the parts). Also, they are on transparencies which doesnt always look the best on the green background here; the fence is a bit easier to see if you "drag" the image over a darker background.

First are the "floor" tiles: dirt, asphalt(empty), roadstripes, again, sewer, concrete, tiles, tarp.
Then are the "wall" tiles: girder, w/bottom, concrete wall, brick, fence, w/hole, iron fence, short, grder w/tarp, w/o crossbars, w/crossbars but w/o tarp, posters!, concrete wall w/ moulding, brick wall w/ moulding, door, open door, sign, window, BOOZE neon sign, choir graffiti, more graffiti, more posters!

Here are some props: streetlight, telephone pole, wires, and a longer wire.

And here are the characters, who are double the resolution (drawn on a 64x64 tilesize, though given the height of people, they're only 46x13). Just like the other tiles, they're pieces in layers, so the individual clothes, accessories, etc can be changed around. Currently there is a pretty limited selection and only the default male model.

And here is the logo...

In case you were interested, I've also included my very first attempt, in 16x16. I liked the chunky look, but in the long run I wanted to be able to convey much more information so I bumped the size up.

Finally, this is a mockup of how the gameworld would look with these implemented. This is only done in sketchup, so the rendering and lighting won't be quite accurate. Also, I plan on using some basic 3d models in the scenes while this has none (for example, blocks in the back alleys textured to look like dumpsters, or smaller blocks like trashcans or newspaper stands, etc).

If you want to see more shots of the 3D scene including the construction site and the corp tower, they're on this page.
http://www.johngosling.com/games/netgain/
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 09:49:20 am by Sintua »

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Re: [NetGAIN] (C+C)

Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 10:04:34 pm
Looks very interesting, a social network 3d game would be awesome :D!!! where you can build your own worlds...similar to Second Life but in Pixelstyle
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Sintua

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Re: [NetGAIN] (C+C)

Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 10:16:22 pm
Looks very interesting, a social network 3d game would be awesome :D!!! where you can build your own worlds...similar to Second Life but in Pixelstyle

It's still very early development, but the basic idea is to make an ever-growing open world post-cyberpunk game, with an early build available to people that is continually updated (a la dwarf fortress), but with a focus on usability and community integration. the focus isn't on building, but rather on your character... but given how easy it is to build things with the system we're using we hope to open it up to user submissions as we go. Eventually, users will be able to make their own content for almost anything - characters, clothes, art, fancy desks, weapons - to add to the gameworld, and have it be available on the "market" in other games, but the first few steps are just going to focus on getting the basic gameplay mechanics down!

It'll start single player, but because of the tools we're using we're hoping to make it possible to invite friends into your world to party with you.