AuthorTopic: [WIP] - Top down adventure shooter  (Read 7915 times)

Offline electrolyte

• View Profile
    • electrolyte - my work ...

[WIP] - Top down adventure shooter

on: September 30, 2010, 03:52:28 pm
Hi everyone,

I'm just starting work on a new game and wanted to get some feedback on the graphic direction that I'm working towards. I'm kind of going for the cannon fodder, little people kind of route. It's top down but im using a 'sloping' wall view which may shoot me in the foot later!

Anyway, here's some wip, any feedback on pallette, style, etc would be appreciated, thank you  :)

Characters will be animated in a 4 frame sequence ...

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] - Top down adventure shooter

Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 04:20:19 pm
You might want to remove the top part of the walls there, makes it look a bit weird at places.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 06:24:24 pm
I love the little characters, but I don't think the perspective on the walls is right, especially the tops and sides of the walls. I'm not an expert on perspective, so I'm not sure how how to fix it, but I think you're trying to trying to achieve a perspective like from Zelda, right?

Offline turfsurfer

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 06:33:41 pm
I agree that the walls look wierd, I think the "tops" of the walls need to be a lighter shade than the bottoms. The way you have them shaded at the moment makes them seem like they are going down into the floor instead of above it.

Offline Wootai

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 09:41:01 pm
I think what is making it look weird is that your shadows/light source dont match up. you have dark shadows on "south" wall while you have shadows being cast by the "north" wall. Also, the "poles" are casting no shadow. I think that is why most people are seeing holes, and not walls.

Offline electrolyte

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 08:47:30 am
Thanks guys that helps a lot, will regig it  :)

Offline SwapBrain

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 10:47:00 am
It appears that in the Zelda screen-shots they also make the tiles for the 'north' faces a bit shorter, which should help circumvent the 'pit' illusion.

Offline electrolyte

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 11:23:34 am

Cool, yep I did some hunting around on google for Zelda screen shots, I've reduced north walls and also changed the shadow direction, do you think this is looking a little better? Thanks for your help

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 11:37:11 am
That's a lot better, though the corners could use some work.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline Infinite Segment

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 01:12:45 pm
It is still wrong though; The shadow on the floor is at a 45 degree angle, which should make the eastern walls just as shaded as the northern walls.
Additionally, even though the wall blocks are top-lit (as can be seen from their shading) it seems like the topmost bricks in the wall are darker than the bottom ones.
And finally the wall lamps are a bit confusing to me, first because they sit on the darker topmost blocks and second because they only shed a tiny bit of light on the blocks themselves (since you can see that the shadow on the floor has nothing to do with the lamps). I'd say that since this is obviously an outside daytime scenario it makes little sense for lamps to be around and lit (you could turn them off which would suggest that they are there to supply light during the night, or you could change the whole lighting to indicate that this is a closed building or somesuch and thus it should have no global lighting (which is what makes the southern walls brighter and casts a 45 degree shadow everywhere)
Other than the lighting I actually like the art, it makes me want to make something similar (though I really don't have any spare time :S)
^
||
NOOB