AuthorTopic: Does this look done?  (Read 4590 times)

Offline TPoe

• RoyalePoe
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/20746.htm
    • View Profile

Does this look done?

on: September 26, 2010, 06:39:25 am

I know some people don't like dithering, but does this piece look finished? I know it isn't colored, but I'm bad with colors. I'm just using this to test GraphicsGale, which I've never used before today. Also my first time dithering.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 06:42:29 am by TPoe »

Offline Wootai

• View Profile

Re: Does this look done?

Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 12:32:34 am
no.

[edit by jad: I was going to remove this, but as this post has been replied to, I'll let it stay. People, don't post one-worders like this. Give real feedback, in every post if possible. It's what we strive for here at the pix. Thank you!]
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 07:42:55 am by Jad »

Offline TPoe

• RoyalePoe
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 01:18:15 am
Ok, thank you, care to tell me why not?

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 04:46:26 am
If you're bad with colors, you could still use a greyscale palette and not have to worry about it. Usually anything in only 2 colors that isn't insanely dithered may look " unfinished".

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 04:51:16 am
no.
probably the least helpful thing I've ever seen posted here. One-liners (especially one-worders!) are frowned upon here, if you make the effort to post at least write something constructive.

the arms look like they dead-end into the hands, adding more of a wrist would help. I'd also recommend using references if you aren't already, and perhaps posting them if you are. fingers looks stubby, especially the thumb of the hand that's holding the apple. keep the joints of the fingers in mind. if you're set on keeping this restrained to two colors, bring out the musculature and volume of the hands more and perhaps shade the apple so it's darker than the hands. right now everything looks flooded with light, as if it's a picture taken with flash that's too strong.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 04:53:11 am by Cure »

Offline Lukkas

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 07:24:37 am
Very good first try at dithering.  :)

If you're looking to improve it, I agree with Cure. The right forearm looks strange. There's a very clear line between the wrist and arm. I also think there's too much dark in the palm of the left hand. Try defining the second segments of his fingers. I also think there may be a perspective issue with the right hand in relation to his index finger, but I can't quite figure out what it is. It may just be a problem with the start of his finger and the end of his palm not being defined well enough.

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 07:40:06 am
Nothing is ever finished. An image can always be improved upon with time.

But no... it doesn't look done. The main thing that irks me, like what everyone else has been saying, is the anatomy of the hand holding the apple.

The left hand also looks like it's being viewed from below, at least slightly, while the right hand looks like it's being viewed from above... slightly.

Offline TPoe

• RoyalePoe
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 03:12:32 am
Thanks everyone, I didn't didn't use a reference, so that's probably why the anatomy is off, I'll use a reference next time I edit it.

And maybe I'll try a grayscale, I dunno.

But this'll have to wait, my computer is being fixed at the moment.

Offline seanz5

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 09:20:55 pm
Just going by a value system, you are very heavy with your white and black.  Your gray (aka dithering) is used very sparingly.  I think you would need more gray honestly unless you were going for a blown out contrast picture.

SeanZ