AuthorTopic: People on the move  (Read 9345 times)

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

People on the move

on: September 25, 2010, 07:03:48 pm
hello hello!

been away for quite a long time now.. however, today when I sat down after work,
the rain was pouring down and I got myself a good cup of tea. I started to feel the inspiration flowing into my system
as ive not been pixeling for loads of months I decided to start with something simple and clean.

New

It's not a very complicated picture, but right now and when I stopped ive been into Big vs. Small stuff to create a somewhat magical feeling.
all over I enjoyed pixeling it, but as always it's hard to judge your own pictures, so what do you think?

Old

« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 12:15:46 pm by coffee »

Offline McClaneGames

• Evan M
    • View Profile
    • NinetySix, Co.

Re: People on the move

Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 08:42:46 pm
I like it!  The contrast between the huge trees and small people is great.  You do seem to have a stray pixel on the bottom right set of leaves.

Offline Infinite Segment

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 11:35:24 pm
Overall very cool, but a few things slightly bother me:
1) Bottom right - there's the green tree trunk, the blue tree trunk and in between there's a bright gray\green\blue\background-colored bush\thing. It looks a bit weird that the bright color returns, it is as if the green tree is very small.
2) There are two main grass clumps, one juts to the left and the other to the right, which seems a bit weird (that look is usually reserved for when the path through the forest is 90 degrees to the image plane so we can see there are two sides to the path), I think it would look better if they both faced left.
3) The previously mentioned flying pixel.
4) I'm not really sure whether I like or dislike the vertical lines.
5) The stance on the guy to the left seems a bit strange, is he facing away from us and holding the rope in his right hand while his left is outstreched and he is leaning backwards?
^
||
NOOB

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 01:48:51 pm
The bull looks very segmented and unorganic, would be nice if you fixed that :3
Other than that, just lovely, makes me want to do a similar piece involving treehouses.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 09:51:07 am
Thanks for the comments!

Made an edit:

This is what Ive changed:

• A small break of light in the vertical bottom line
  • The light and pose of the guy with the bulls rope
  • The bull got a bit of fur to look more organic
  • Added some uplit leaves on each side to get rid of some of the 2D feeling
  • Changed the colour of the shading

Probably some more small chages that I cant remember now..

Offline Infinite Segment

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 12:41:18 pm
I think it looks a lot better, but what's bothering me now is those lit leaves you added; Because they are lit it implies that the little guy's light source is strong enough to reach them, but if it was (especially considering how the light from the other light source behaves) you'd expect much more of the area around him to be lit (including much stronger front lighting on the bull and the bulleader [heh, I made up a word] and the ground and nearby vines.)
^
||
NOOB

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 01:45:31 pm
First off, this is excellent in terms of mood and composition.

Tho I think your pixeltech is lacking a bit, but with that we can help here :)

I made an edit:

• I reduced the colours to 16, some were near duplicates.
  • Other colours I changed a bit, mainly the 2 colours on the horns so they could be reused ass aa/buffershades on the foliage.
  • That darkest colour you had on one of the luggage pieces could be used to darken the forest even more, make it look deeper and more spooky.
  • The light circle of the lantern the right dude is carrying was darker than the background, which looked odd. So I made the lightest colour before white more saturated yellow and used that instead, also used it to spice up some of the highlights.
  • More aa and such, look at how i changed the aa on the biggest hanging vine.

I think this piece would greatly benefit if you would push it the final mile, aa everything and so on. Keep it up  :y:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 07:11:41 pm by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 09:47:36 pm
oi oi ptoing!

Very good looking edit! Just what I tried to accomplish. Your perfectly right in what youve said and I always seems to forget them small stuff that actually makes
the picture look more alive and not so flat. I also have an old, silly and dumb way of always putting new colour from the palett instead of looking around in what
ive already been using for an option for a shade, light or something.

This is my edit. Tried to lower the amount of colours used (probably some scraps left of unessecary paint, but I use paint so I dont know how to automaticly lower them):

;D

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 09:53:27 pm
Nice start. The buffers you used for the foliage and green light do not quite work. In my version I made the 2 colours from the bulls horns completely grey. That way they will work both on the bull and as buffers for the greens/blues.

Also my edit was just quick, I would introduce the dark colour on the right as well and perhaps put some lighter holes in the foliage, to suggest layering.

As far as MSPaint goes, I would suggest switching to something like GrafX2 or GGale. They are free as well and are TONS better than MSPaint.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 06:38:29 am
This is simply beautiful. The only thing I noticed is that the bull, compared to the people, is more the size of an elephant. People are usually taller than bulls. Of course, it looks pretty good as it is, so maybe this might be a time when you should ignore realism.