AuthorTopic: D-Pixel (my paint program)  (Read 50097 times)

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Re: D-Pixel (my paint program)

Reply #60 on: March 25, 2011, 06:58:24 pm
Yes it does need more help stuff. I intend to post screenshots and some explanations of the various panels at some point. As they keep developing and changing it's difficult to do every time there is a new release though! ;)

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #61 on: March 25, 2011, 07:45:52 pm
v 0.61 - 25th March 2011

+ Added in full 64 level palette undo/redo feature. This is separate from the image undo so you can undo/redo either the palette or the image without influencing the other
+ Added in clear image icon in Image options (undo/redo able as other drawing operations)
+ Redesigned resize image options: Clear image is implented as before, but also the user can now position the old image at one of 9 orientations (left, centre or right alligned for both X & Y positions) within the new image. Scale image will scale the odd image to fit the new image size
+ Added in crop image tool in Image options
+ Added new options in the System menu: Fade on/off (to switch on/off the panel fading) and FPS counter (which can be used to see how fast the program is running on your computer when doing different tasks in D-Pixel)
+ Optimised text primitive tool for a large increase in drawing speed
+ Added user selectable option for using different Graphic Drivers: DirectX 7, DirectX 9, OpenGL (SOME PROBLEMS NOTED when switching to OpenGL in the program, exiting and restarting should fix..)
+ Added desktop / fullscreen window options

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #62 on: March 28, 2011, 11:00:15 am
I only now found out about this program :O

Indeed it is very nice, but i do have some issues with the interface:

-There should be more keyboard shortcuts, first and foremost for switching the tools (draw, line, box, brush, etc) and to go to next/previous color in the palette.
-The app window is always on top, which forces you to minimize it when you want to access something else.
-Press escape for instant quit. This is not really productive :)

Also, the program can get quite buggy after I use it for a while. These are some that I've noticed that can appear. I cannot reproduce them every time, but here they are none the less:

-Image thumbnails seem to lag one action behind. If I say fill and image with red, I will not see the update on the thumbnail until I do something else with the image.
-When resizing window, the interface gets cropped, so you can't see the top part of it, for example. I think I was using OpenGL when this happened.
-When using full-screen mode, if I switch to another application, when I get back to D-Pixel, the screen is blank

It's very refreshing to see a program with a modern look and a somewhat unique philosophy.
Keep up the great work.
i

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #63 on: March 28, 2011, 12:57:59 pm
OK, Jamon and I just made an 8-col avatar each to test D-Pixel. Some more feedback:

-Right clicking to pick a color does not change active color in palette editor.
-Right clicking with a brush does nothing.
-When saving an image you have to pick a fileformat (no default one) AND type in file extension manually!
-The program seems to assume that it is maximized/full-screen even when it isn't. For example you cannot pan the picture when it's larger than your window if it would fit the full-screen res.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 04:02:51 pm by ilkke »
i

Offline Gamer36

• Just a noob.
    • View Profile
    • Gamer36 Wordpress

Reply #64 on: March 28, 2011, 05:48:43 pm
can has Mac version?  :(
MAC! Btw, what language is it coded in? If it's C++ or Flash I might be able to help you code is for Mac, Linux is out of my hands.
Pixel Art, what (mostly) all of us are here for.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #65 on: March 28, 2011, 06:19:35 pm
Thanks for the C&C, I'll look into some of these things. :)
BTW: Escape for instant quit isn't quite as bad as it sounds as apart from the Undo / Redo stack the workspaces are all saved..

A lot of these issues come from the fact that the Engine I'm using for D-Pixel is really designed for games and not utilities (hence the fullscreen / windowed issues).  :(

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #66 on: April 10, 2011, 01:59:05 pm
v 0.62 - 10th April 2011

+ Fixed error where default maximised screen size forgot to take into account windows taskbars
+ Added some level of support for resizing the program window (canvas sizes are now adjusted)
+ Made default 'Save As' file format BMP
+ File selector tweaks to add warning when trying to save over an existing file
+ When right clicking on a colour in the palette (to set the secondary pen) this now updates the Red, Green, Blue and Hue, Saturation and Value sliders (if visible)
+ Thumbnails now update whilst drawing and shouldn't lag behind by one operation for some actions like fill & undo as before
+ Removed Desktop and Fullscreen options from System Options panel due to Engine issues. I'll have to look at these some more in the future

Offline vecign

• View Profile
    • my deviantART site

Reply #67 on: April 28, 2011, 04:21:21 pm
Very nice piece of software and against most opinions i like the gui  :D

I use a laptop with Win XP Home 32bit and a Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family inside,
which seems to cause some problems with D-Pixel. I can not save my work,'cause after
clicking the save-button only a black screen open. Also D-Paint seems to push my CPU (2,0 Ghz 32bit)
to 100 % in the Taskmanager. I hope this can be fixed, i really want try out more your program.

greetz, vecign

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #68 on: April 30, 2011, 06:33:48 pm
I would make the default Save As file format PNG. BMP is a nasty (large filesize) uncompressed (but lossless) format.

PNG on the other hand, is everything BMP is and more. Very smart lossless compression method used.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #69 on: May 02, 2011, 07:02:15 am
Thanks vecign, I have a integrated chipset too but don't see those black screen problems. I'll have to look into that. Glad you like it so far!

Mathias, I agree.. unfortunately when I try to use the save PNG functions in libPNG it crashes badly. I must be doing something wrong, but not had chance to find out what.  :(