AuthorTopic: D-Pixel (my paint program)  (Read 50094 times)

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Re: D-Pixel (my paint program)

Reply #30 on: October 22, 2010, 06:55:19 pm
I'm not really used to doing animations, what do you think is the best way to do it? Any existing programs that have a good method of implementing it? :)

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #31 on: October 23, 2010, 12:46:32 am
Pencil or Flash style with fames subordinate to layers is the most flexible in my opinion.

Mockup:

Right-click layers to lock them to timeline (same again to unlock), otherwise just show selected layer.
Drag ends of image frames to change time frame.
Drag body of image frame to shift.
Middle-drag to pan timeline.
Wheel to zoom timeline.

EDIT:
On a side note: when using under Wine for the first few seconds it is usable (well as usable as Graphics Gale anyways) but then it slows down to seconds per frame becoming totally unusable.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 12:57:25 am by surt »

Offline thedaemon

• thedaemon
    • View Profile
    • personal website

Reply #32 on: October 23, 2010, 04:19:21 am
Layers in animation would be a plus. But having ways of moving forward and backward by 1 frame (hotkey too), being able to display previous or next frames transparently overlayed onto current frame, playback controls. Ability to add blank or copied frames before or after current frame, Surt's mockup looks fine btw, dpaint is a tool to check out for a basic way but promotion has is done better, ummm really just basic ability for animation just frames for now able to export as animated gif or single images would be cherry for awhlie to me.  ;D
gemini://thedaemons.space
https://thedaemons.space

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: October 23, 2010, 08:43:17 am
Surt: Thank you very much for going to the trouble of creating a mockup. And it's in the same style too! :)

Well, animation like that is pretty complicated, I'll have to think of the best way to implement things like that. I didn't realise you guys created such sophisticated animations! ;)

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: October 23, 2010, 11:21:19 am
New release.. I'll be moving house over the next few weeks, so may not be around much.

v 0.55 - 23rd October 2010
---------------------------------------

+ Fixed error with loading PNG files with non-even width sizes
+ Fixed small error in creating thumbnail errors where colour 0 was used for some parts of the background instead of solid black
+ Added support for palettes attached to images (internally)
+ Added support for multiple images (internally)
+ Added check for loading images with a colour depth greater than 8-bit and aborting rather than crashing
+ Now saves workspace before saving any image in case of a crash
+ Tightened up icon highlighting when over icon text to stop multiple icons being selected at once
+ Added user brush panel of 9 user brush entries (right click on current user brush icon to select which position to use)
+ All 9 user brush entries are now saved and loaded automatically with the workspace
+ Fixed bug with freehand and rectangle copy / cut
+ Increased time returned to OS (again!)
+ Fixed bug where icons could be selected by accident whilst drawing

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: October 31, 2010, 12:41:15 pm
Had some time to get a bit more done..

v 0.56 - 31st October 2010
--------------------------

+ Added support for 14 user selectable images
+ Images are saved automatically as part of workspace if modified (may need to add background saving to reduce exit time)
+ Changed New Image icon to be resize options - need to add more features to this, like image resizing as well as cropping
+ Changed scrolling method (with arrow keys) to be a 3 stage speed scroll. Trying various methods to see what works best
+ Added keyboard shortcuts:
"+" to increase pen 1 position by 1 place
"-" to decrease pen 1 position by 1 place
"+" & "Shift" to increase pen 1 position by 16 places
"-" & "Shift" to decrease pen 1 position by 16 places
"1" - "8" select the 1st to 8th positions in the palette on that row for pen 1
"Shift" & "1" - "8" select the 9th to 15th positions in the palette on that row for pen 1

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: November 07, 2010, 09:18:30 am
v 0.57 - 7th November 2010
---------------------------------------

+ Added wireframe (single pixel line) grid option
+ Fixed bug where freehand drawing tools could be being affected by fit to grid option (if snap to grid was on) by mistake
+ Fixed bug where the current image number being worked on would be reset to 0 (the first image) when restarting the program again
+ Colours are now updated properly when a colour in the palette is copied over another by dragging in the palette
+ Loading true colour images didn't actually result in proper error check in release version and caused crashes, now fixed
+ True colour images are now loaded as 256 colour images IF there are 256 colours or less in the image
+ Workspace (expect current image) is now saved when loading new image
+ Thumbnails are now drawn in their own image palette, instead of the current palette in use
+ D-Pixel logo will now disappear when a key is pressed as well as if the mouse is moved

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #37 on: November 08, 2010, 06:04:37 am
This regards running under Wine:

Working apparently flawlessly on KDE now, doesn't lock up anymore, but on Gnome has some redraw issues. EDIT: Oops, redraw issues on KDE too. Seems to happen sometimes and not others.
Not sure if this is due to a change in D-Pixel or a Wine update.

For me the D-Pixel logo will now only disappear when a key is pressed, not when the mouse is moved (could be a Wine specific problem).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 06:07:48 am by surt »

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: November 08, 2010, 05:30:20 pm
What kind of redraw issues are you seeing? I don't have Linux so can't test, but it would help to see what visual errors you get..

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #39 on: November 09, 2010, 12:36:19 am
https://sites.google.com/a/putpixel.com/www/_/rsrc/1289263179875/home/d-pixel-redraw.png
This is after just starting and moving the cursor over the canvas.