AuthorTopic: Steam Quest MockUp  (Read 4394 times)

Offline Zweckform

• Monks shouldn't pixel
    • View Profile

Steam Quest MockUp

on: September 23, 2010, 06:00:10 pm
Hello Folks,

i started this one some time ago and this is a reworked version of it. I want to add energy display and some obstacles/enemies. Anyway C&C welcome as usual.

The background consists of three layers 16 colors each.

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Re: Steam Quest MockUp

Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 06:15:30 pm
That background is WAY too noisy. Remove some layers.

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 07:30:27 pm
As much as it is noisy...... I think that the colors of the background and foreground are WAY too similar. If the saturation of the background was dialed down a bit, it might help.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 08:00:10 pm
This is a nice start, tho I agree with the other comments.

Also it looks odd that the character is standing right on the border of the frame, plus the font treatment is really bad. Dark on dark with a weird nonsensical border. It is hard to read.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Lukkas

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 08:16:56 am
As the others have said, the background has too much going on and is too bright. To make it worse, your sprite is not very bright or noticeable. I had to search for a second to find him when I first saw the image. Your background is overpowering the foreground.

I would try losing the middle layer of trees, and toning down the colors in the front layer of trees.

The individual works themselves are actually quite good, it's just that there's too many of them, and your color choices could use improvement.

That goes for your text as well, as ptoing said.

I don't actually like the font itself, but you have a problem with the background color of your message box. I also think you would be better to use text with a drop shadow, rather than a full border.

Good work, though. I'm especially impressed with the portrait of the bald, monocle'd man. I'd like to see an improved version. :)

Offline Zweckform

• Monks shouldn't pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 08:41:17 pm
Hello guys,

sorry for the late response, but i was quite busy recently.

That background is WAY too noisy. Remove some layers.

Still not sure how to reduce the noise, needs some testing.

As much as it is noisy...... I think that the colors of the background and foreground are WAY too similar. If the saturation of the background was dialed down a bit, it might help.

I guess i also should add more unique elements, i agree the colors still need some tuning.

Also it looks odd that the character is standing right on the border of the frame, plus the font treatment is really bad. Dark on dark with a weird nonsensical border. It is hard to read.

You got me there, the font was the result of my lazyness  :P - that part definitly needs to be polished. The character is in the corner as this should be a scene at the beginning of a level, you play from right to left. But if this can be misunderstood, i should reconsider.

I'd like to see an improved version. :)

I will continue and with the good hints i am optimistic to deliver a better version.

Thanks for your input folks, reworking.... :)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 09:14:40 pm
I have no problem with him standing right, but with the fact that his feet touch the frameborder.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.