AuthorTopic: Game Tileset  (Read 3386 times)

Offline Stealth

• View Profile

Game Tileset

on: September 11, 2010, 08:12:43 am
Hey Everyone!

This is my first post here, was referred by a friend and have been looking around for a bit. Seems like a really nice userbase and good critiques without shooting the person to smithereens too much. :D

I'm doing a Bachelor of Games Design at Uni, currently first year. For our current programming assignment we need to make a game that has three levels in it.

For some reason; three weeks before the thing is due (also before i've actually nailed down any gameplay code) I decided to make the tiles for my game as pixel art~!

I'm happy to admit I am not much chop as an artist; and this is the first time I've ever tried anything pixel-art-esque.

I was wondering if you have any hints/tips/pointers on how I can improve these tiles and my pixelart in general, as I actually had a lot of fun doing it!  ;D

Hope you guys can help. Would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 09:05:37 am by Stealth »

Offline Demon11777

• View Profile

Re: Game Tileset

Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 08:23:57 am
can you save it as a png and re-upload ? It's kinda hard to give a critique if you save it in a format that fuzzies up the pixels  ;)
Row Row Fight The Powah!

Offline Stealth

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 08:36:16 am
Darn it. Knew i'd do something wrong. On my way to uni, half an hour and shall re-upload!! :D

Offline Stealth

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 09:05:52 am
Done!! :D

Offline Lukkas

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 09:09:30 am
Pretty neat looking :)

There's two main things you can do to improve this.

One: texture, texture, texture! Your grass is a solid green. This isn't actually a horrible choice for such small graphics, but you can drastically improve it by putting little sprigs of grass here and there. Same goes for your floor tiles.

Two: Notice how on your lava, it very much looks "tiled?" You see the same elements repeating over and over? By adding more types of lava, you can help eliminate that effect and it makes it look better. So You Want To Be A Pixel Artist details this effect and how you can prevent it quite well in the section titled "Eliminating the Grid".

By the way, I like the little demon head things in your dungeon tileset. Looks neat. All the tilesets are very nice first attempts. :) Keep going at it.