AuthorTopic: SMB 1 sprites  (Read 52601 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: SMB 1 sprites

Reply #60 on: September 23, 2010, 10:14:20 pm
Conceit: He mentioned needing some pressure/push mechanics for the water. Also making a proper fluid dynamics engine if it is not a major part of the game would be a little bit over the top, also they are quite processor intensive.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #61 on: September 24, 2010, 06:54:17 am
Well, I didn't mean to start coding this. I just wanted to draw some SMB sprites and it escalated. I'll guess I'll migrate to tigsource now.

It's very difficult to do proper fluid mechanics. I've tried a particle based one for another project, but it didn't go well. Like I said, I believe just having something fluid to play with is fun already.

Maybe I'll recolor it bubbly green and call it slime, or just do chunky lava gfx for it. People won't expect it to do watery things then. But water for the fishies and bridge area would still be nice. I was thinking of filling the crater in the center with water, and you pull the plug and drain it, or something.

I've uploaded v0.08a

http://androidarts.com/smb/

NEW:
  • Tile rendering suddenly 10 times faster.
  • Scroll locking. Evaluate with E key after editing. The scroll
    lock evaluator will look at screen edges and determine if there's
    a wall/floor/roof. Edges have to be on multiples of screens.
  • Primitive Joypad support. (+ pad and 2 buttons)
  • Crawl like a monkey.
  • Squeeze in under low blocks. And jump under them.
  • Look up and down while grounded (if scroll lock allows).
  • Wall climbing and jumping. (Hold walk key and press away from the wall and jump.)

Edit: New thread
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 07:33:00 am by Arne »

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #62 on: September 24, 2010, 10:36:40 am
I started doing new basic ground blocks.

6 top (lit), 6 mid, 6 bottom (shaded). I'll do these in several colors I think.

I tried out a green tone for my dungeon colored blocks. It gives an ancient feel. However, I felt a little bad about adding another color. It's not teal like the dungeons are supposed to be. Also, now I have a green which I could've used on the pipe, but I don't want to really.

So, I merged my darkest shadow color with the black to push the graphical effect a little and reduce colors. Looks kind of harsh though, and it will eat up the outlines of the figures. I'm not sure what to think. What do you think?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 10:41:05 am by Arne »

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #63 on: September 25, 2010, 09:42:55 pm
Just a little test.. Still 12 colours, but I made an extra green, created a warmer palette, reduced the background layer detail (quickly!) and added warmer coloured shadows around most things instead of the black. Just playing around really, I don't expect this to be used.. :)

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #64 on: September 26, 2010, 02:06:11 pm
Used yellow and removed the pink to recover the darker blue. Also added more coloured outlines and tweaked the palette a bit..

Offline Konrad

• View Profile

Reply #65 on: September 26, 2010, 02:47:08 pm
The colored outlines really improve your sprites :). I'm happy that you kept the second blue, as it adds depth to the background IMO (besides the detail of course).

Offline Lazycow

• Do androids dream of electric sheep?
    • flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/15168.htm
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Reply #66 on: September 26, 2010, 03:24:09 pm
While the additional color in the tubes and the sprites is a real improvement, it breaks the NES restrictions, doesn't it? (3 colors + background for a tile or 3 colors + transparency for a sprite)
A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. Yes we can!

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #67 on: September 26, 2010, 03:28:19 pm
I think the colours happymonster used for the outlines are too close to the internal colours and thus cost the sprite volume and readability. They just kinda merge together.

Arne is not caring too much about NES restrictions here anyway. He has more tile palettes as possible, same for sprite ones. Who cares, it's not like he is making a NES game.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #68 on: September 27, 2010, 01:42:11 pm
Yeah, right now I'm just trying to keep keep some kind of NES'y graphical punch in there, so I prefer the black. I did change the tree/bush outline to a dark color. The tree really shouldn't look like it belongs in the FG, but I still like that it's green. Maybe I'll use a similar approach for other BG things. I want to keep the black for the blocks and characters.

I changed the palette around a bit. Not happy with the daylight purple shadow and the calculated +1,+1 drop shadow on the BG blocks doesn't look good in the daylight situation. Water is now drawn with 70% opacity but I forgot to add some here.

For the next build I might have multiplayer (with simple tag?), but actor-actor collisions might be hard to pull off properly.

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #69 on: September 27, 2010, 03:06:05 pm
Have collision only happen with leg --> cap interaction?
That way you could walk through eachtoher but still be able to cooperate on jumps and such.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair