AuthorTopic: SMB 1 sprites  (Read 52597 times)

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Re: SMB 1 sprites

Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 08:50:54 pm
God damn your mushroom kingdom is adorable :3
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 10:15:49 pm
cool :)
got a programmer? feel like animating these?
nice spin on the graphics. got any spins on the game play?
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 05:36:00 am
They get more and more lovely!

However, the animation on the goomba stresses the fact that broken outlines looks weird, especially when animation make them open/close. Shadows would work. Full outline would work (possibly using a darker, non-black colour for sub-pixel effects), although it's not the direction you've chosen, obviously.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 07:25:56 am
cool :)
got a programmer? feel like animating these?
nice spin on the graphics. got any spins on the game play?

I can answer this for you: take a look at http://androidarts.com/smb/SMB.htm

(:
' _ '

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 12:40:37 pm
That goomba selout really bugs me, yeah. Thought it was a very odd choice. That man-eating flower's green pipe is strangely drawn.

3 different HP states/sizes of Mario? That's an interesting idea; why not.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 01:01:04 pm
On the bottom blue ground tile, what do the single pixels on the top of that tile signify? Nearly all the single pixels I've spotted (mario's hat, top of bushes, eye of the blue bird) are hurting much more than they are adding.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 01:11:11 pm
Actually looking at the blue blocks, they look odd. It looks like the thin lines are jutting out diagonally from the bottom of the block. And I agree with Helm about the single pixels. They indeed do not add much in most places.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 01:15:35 pm by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 02:32:18 pm
I was gonna do a proper blue block, but thought I'd try and see what happened if I just changed the palette. This unfortunately resulted in some meaningless pixels popping out. I was wondering if someone was going to notice eventually (several have). I need to do a proper one.

The Goomba head shave only bothers me where it's strictly horizontal (like I said before, I think it works better on curved lines). Yeah, when it animates it becomes really jarring.

The unorthodox pipe is a strange homage to an image I had in my head of the Giana Sisters pipes.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/great-giana-sisters/screenshots/gameShotId,109621/

But it was also a way to break up the gradient of the pipe curvature. Large clean gradients are tricky to do with a limited palette. I wanted to leave the pipe open at the top, so I omitted a line, but it looks kind of odd. Looks too flat with a line though, and a line closes the pipe. Also, the ground doesn't have top lines either.

No one has commented on the white gloves yet. I thought those were risky. Highlights on black spherical surfaces was a bit of a questionmark too. The crab is such a mess. Blackface Bullet Bill is a bit of a deviation (could be Missile Marty?), and the lack of black lines on the fins bother me, but I couldn't solve it. Blooper tentacles are a mess.

I can't say that the bush pixels bothers me. I think they are needed to suggest material/texture. Otherwise the bushes might look like plastic or lollipops.

->

Changes: Mario hat pixel, Goombas (their closed line bother me a bit now,when compared to Mario's now even cleaner hat for example), Fish (using a two-tone in the mouth, inconsistent?), Bird nostril gone. Far eye doesn't bother me. Should it?

New blue / dark teal blocks. They're not meant to stack vertically, as there's a drop shadow at the top. I just forgot to erase those at the bottom. Ran into some pillow shading/banding problems that I didn't fully fix because I got sloppy.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 02:41:21 pm by Arne »

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 02:34:19 pm
On mario's cap, maybe you should have a red pixel instead of directly replacing the black one with an orange one?
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 03:48:43 pm
Goombas with full black outline sing true to me because it's an enemy you often have to do pixel-perfect jumps on top of, it's good to be clear at all times where their 'landing area' so to speak is.

No I don't think the far eye on the bird is hurting it, because it's mirrored by near eye.

The speculars on black surfaces are fine, I tried making them T tetromino clusters with blue pixels that you already have on the shell sprites, but it looks more visible than it should.

The treetop pixels issue could be mitigated easily by the inclusion of a second darkest shade that isn't pure black, I think. Do the limitations allow?

I think the pipes look great, personally. I tried a different thing here

But it sucks. Too rendered, too much of a loss of the color identity. Are you sure you don't have a second green somewhere in that palette? Heh.

That would fit a Sunsoft Batman game at least!