AuthorTopic: Portrait for a game  (Read 6426 times)

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Portrait for a game

on: September 04, 2010, 04:51:49 pm
>>

Some C&C would be nice
These are for a game of mine, and this won't be the only portrait to make. This is the advisor to the player (who is a general) and she will basically be a tutorial guide.

NEWEST:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 02:08:34 pm by FRAWG »

Offline meissner61

• View Profile

Re: Portrait for a game

Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 05:01:37 pm
generally, military outfits are a bit more darker green than that. also for the shoulders you might want to look at napoleon reference pictures, (http://silencedmajority.blogs.com/.a/6a00d834520b4b69e20105362d8da2970c-320wi) something like that, what i mean is I think your shoulders are a bit too square.

Otherwise it seems pretty good, but I think you want to work a bit more on that face - you don't necessarily got to get every feature in just try to convey some sort of emotion or expression.

good luck

EDIT: And lighting...check your lighting

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 05:17:30 pm
That sounds reasonable, the green is a bit light.

To be honest, i'm not sure why i went with the shoulders like that, but i like them to be on there.

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 08:53:48 pm
shoulder are ok for me, but i think it's lack of shadow on the face and mabe use a more pinkest colour (she seams ill   :blind: )
Normally there are some informations about grade both hat and costum, we're seeing to much skin bottom neck

I prefer hair both left and right (noting suppose to attach hair), but you can have some hair in front of shoulder

Sorry for huge picture  :-[
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 08:55:23 pm by kriss »

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 11:14:05 am
Does she deliberately look like a vampire? She's got the canines!
In this case the tired eyes and pale skin make sense!

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 02:53:23 pm

I have tried to fix a lot of the problems, but i think there are still some more to be worked out.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 10:26:45 pm
I like the shoulders.

One concern I see is that the eyes and nose are based on an even pixel width (4 pixels) while the mouth and chin are based on an odd width.  I think this can be used to show a slight turning of the head, but it's also easy to mess up your alignment of facial features.

I think the eyes and nose are one pixel too high - should be one pixel between mouth and bottom of nose.

I actually like the hairstyles in your original post more than the newest version.  They had clean simple lines and kept out of the way, leaving the viewer's focus on the face (which would be talking and whatnot).

I think the new greens are a little strong in contrast. 

Anyway, here is an edit.  This was difficult to do without adding colors, I could easily add 4-6 more shades.  I'm not sure that pure white is that good of a choice.

1.  Original.  the yellow ball is me figuring where the light would hit (the white spot).  I came up with from the front, a little to the left, and a little up.
2.  Edit the face.  A bit more of a babe, but not too sexy.  Attractive but no makeup.
3.  Edit the shirt.  I think a military uniform would not be very form fitting.  The breasts are there, but they are subtle.  Using a lighter green color.   I thought reducing the details on the shirt would also help push the viewer's attention back to the face.  But that's just a guess.

Thanks for posting.  I let me procrastinate on my own stuff.  :)

Tourist

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 02:39:47 am
I studied that edit HEAVILY, and came up with my newest:

I like the dull background, i am not sure why i used such a saturated placeholder.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 03:36:41 am
That looks great!  I really like the curve to the hat brim and the change to the hair.  Your new jawline is much better than my edit, it fits a character that is an adult.  My edit looks too young to be a captain.  Big improvement from where you started!

The only other thing I could suggest would be to adjust the lighting on the sleeves to match the light source.  They look a bit like a mirror image.  Beyond that, I think this one is complete.

Tourist

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 02:09:51 pm

Here's the portrait of the general. He is so heavily shadowed over the eyes to symbolize that he is the player, and the player could be anyone.