AuthorTopic: 16 Color Palette  (Read 11343 times)

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Re: 16 Color Palette

Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 07:08:54 pm
Wow, thanks Trevorius! Those browns and yellow really added a kick to the palette. I think now, the palette is bit more balanced with warm and cool colors. Also, theres a good red, blue, green, and yellow, which really are powerful colors. I changed your light cyan to a more purple color.

Here are 2 more mods, very similar, just 2 colors are different in these.

We're definitely getting progress here. But we're still not quite there yet.

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 05:31:55 am
Ok, I think I've got this to the point where i want it for now, at least. I'm going to upload it to the pixeljoint context. Thanks again for the help guys! It certainly helped me.

Offline Organ_House

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 08:08:28 am
Good luck (wo)man!

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 09:05:07 am
the lack of a sky colour is still a boulder in the path, imho.

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 06:08:17 pm
Yeah, I think you're right. I replaced the light purple with the cyan.

I still have a couple of days before the contest ends, so I guess I shouldn't rush it.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 06:47:43 pm
Looking much more balanced now.

Do you think it's reasonable to say that one palette may not adequately adjust to all of these mockups at the same time? People create custom palette's for their projects for a reason - it's best suited to the subject matter at hand.

I'm not trying to say you're doing anything wrong, just making the point that you shouldn't expect perfection but rather a compromise so all mockups here look good, but none great, perhaps.

I assume a guy would want to always make custom adjustments to a palette used for a specific project. If everyone starting using the same palette for their little indy games they'd all look too similar.

Your work creating a base generic palette is highly valuable, because it offers a nice starting point for anyone in need of a custom palette. How does it stack up against Arne's? Just use his same palette-test image to see.

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 09:11:44 pm
Hm, you make a good point. The bottom 2 mock-ups seem to work much better with these sorts of palettes as opposed to the top two. I shall look for a more appropiate image test later.

Upon looking at Arne's palette and comparing it to mine, they are some similarities. Mainly, we share similar the 4 midtone red/blue/green/yellow colors. His has alot more greys and I have alot more browns in mine, though. Let's compare side-by-side.

Arne on top, mine on bottom.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 07:51:45 am
It looks like you are automatically reducing these mockups to the respective palettes with something like Photoshop or whatever.

This does by far not get the optimal possible result as an automatic colour reduction/conversion on images with low colour count will almost always yield worse results than manual reduction.

Just quickly did this with arne's palette

It is not optimal and ideally when converting from on system and/or palette to another there should be choices made to make stuff more readable (which I did not) like black outlines around the walkable background elements or simplifying the background. Just wanted to show that arne's and probably your palette too are capable of more than your reductions would suggest.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 08:23:48 am by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.