AuthorTopic: The Achromat!  (Read 5720 times)

Offline meissner61

• View Profile

The Achromat!

on: September 04, 2010, 01:27:35 am
Hello! started working on my own little thing for now, basically nothing set in stone yet but eventually hoping to make a mockup.

originally started posting here - http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10932

but w/e pixeljoint seems a bit slow on their forums. so anyways so far my only good progress is the walk cycle:

let me know what you guys think. and if any of you read the pixel joint link Im in desperate need of ideas haha!

ideas such as what other details I can put on his suit.. I dont want it too be too full but it looks to empty right now
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 01:29:23 am by meissner61 »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: The Achromat!

Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 06:10:52 am
This boy needs more Space hardware. I'm thinkin' an upgraded antenna for extra deep-space signals, a space-roving wheelchair complete with life-support in case of old age and a remote-controlled avionical robo-parrot from planet Goltron named Steve.

Offline meissner61

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 06:13:26 am
Rofl I love it! you didnt make that did you??

However on a more serious note Im thinking of putting in that umm...squigly tube? the oxygen tube? Im not sure what you call it.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 06:20:18 am
I'm an expert pixel artist. That's what we expert pixel artists normally do.

The tube doubles as an oxygen supply conveyance system and also as a low-fat space-yogurt feeding mechanism from planet Zoldergroth.

Offline meissner61

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 06:57:34 am
so no actuall c&C? cant tell if thats a good thing or if you just dont feel like wasting your precious eyes on the  pathetic being that I am.

heres a recolored version of The Achromat:

EDIT: also brought it down to about 7-8 colors

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 03:59:47 pm
Oh you want C&C do you!? Hehe, ok.

Your first version had redundant shades. Especially the 3 lightest ones. Current version seems to fix that, though I haven't checked it's actual palette. I don't like the dark theme at all. Not enough contrast. Your pragmatic lineart usage is hurting readability. This sprite is small, you don't have room to outline every major shape in this char. Attempt actual volume shading, not mere shape-outlining with a little bevel highlighting.
At least you have moved away from being completely monotone with that purple helmet shield. Previous version's pal was a simple monotone ramp with no virtual shifting. Liking the jetpack.

Ok, so:
-Try a better hue shift with your current palette
-Lighten it up
-Shade more dynamically
-Get away from your inclination to outline everything. Outlines are overrated.

PS. When I Google "Achromat", I get a bunch of camera lenses. What do you think an achromat is? Why not plain astronaut?

Offline meissner61

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 06:02:44 pm
yah the achromat name came from my original thought of using an Achromatic pallet only. If you go back to the PJ link i posted earlier you will see that this baby went through a lot of changes in his little life.. well anyways, I know you said you didnt like the dark one so i tried again to recolour and added more - Ti's a waste of time and I should be animating my run cycle i know.. but it was fun lol.

I also wanted to ask what exactly is volume shading? and can I use it on such a small scale?

EDIT: cleaned up all the colors btw, in case its not noticeable which i hope it is...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 06:14:19 pm by meissner61 »

Offline meissner61

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 03:19:03 am

Sorry for double post But I ve spent a lot of time on this run cycle, and perhaps ive just been looking at it for too long but as much as i try to perfect it still looks shitty to me.. thanks guys

Offline Panz

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 01:35:38 am
Okay, I'm not an expert or anything, but I think I can see what the problem is, and since no one else has responded, I may as well chime in.

It's the legs that make the run cycle look wrong.  His upper body is leaning forward, but his lower body looks as if it is leaning backwards.  The shape is almost ( and it should be / ... I think if you take your mouse and draw an imaginary line from the bottom of your sprite to the top of your sprite, you will see what I mean.

Offline Andre

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 03:39:19 am
Hey meissner61. How you do'n mate?
Quite a fine character you got there. I felt like giving a try at the walking animation:

Basically I just raised the contrast level between legs and arms, so you can see which one comes from the front side and backside of the character. Also changes some pixels here and there just to make a smoother animation (imo ofc)  ;)

Enough talking:

aw...a bit too fast maybe. Anyway I think you got the idea. :P

In a second thought have you ever considered to change the perspective a lil bit? I sorta loved the concept and found myself playing a whole lot around with it. Being so, I kinda end up with this:
or rather: . or

Gawh, anyway hope this helps :)

« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 04:40:46 pm by Andre »