AuthorTopic: Metools!  (Read 7110 times)

Offline Keand64

• View Profile

Re: Metools!

Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 01:49:39 am
Thanks!  I tried to clean up the lines a bit, I'm having some trouble.  I think this is the best I'll get for right now, perhaps I'll do better after I get some sleep ^^.  I also updated the dark metool image, though I'm not entirely sure how to make it look more like a dark metool and less like a greyscale version of the original...

OH MY GOD ITS AIRMAN!!

Offline SwapBrain

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 02:34:07 am
If you are doing a 'dark metool' as in Evil Ryu or Shin Akuma, then I think they tend to use a dark purple or gunmetal.

It might look something mhrrrrrrrlikethis;

Probably darker.

Offline Keand64

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 02:58:09 am
Yeah, I was thinking about giving the dark metool a little more saturation to give it a less 'greyscale' feel.  I made three more edits, the first one I just added a pale purple color scheme to the greyscale metool, the second one I just darkened up the first, and the third I removed the highlights, which imo makes it less reflective and a more shadowy type feel (it never ceases to amaze me how doing something as subtle as removing a couple highlights can affect the entire picture).

Tomorrow I'll experiment a little more with this, possibly changing the eyes a bit (they look to big and not 'dark metool' enough, even though they're red, though it might just be me).
OH MY GOD ITS AIRMAN!!

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 03:34:25 am
Now you're thinking for yourself. Before, you were just copying the shading from the original, and it was very uninspiring. Keep that up.

When it comes to light, be bold. Don't be afraid to obscure details and things in shadow. Just do it. Less it more anyway. hey hey

Offline Keand64

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 07:40:35 pm
So I made six variations of the dark metool, just playing around with lighting and color.  Right now I'm working on a simple animation, so I'll post that when it's done.

Yeah, one of them's red...

EDIT:  I got down a very (very ^^) basic animation-sketch.  The idea is for the sun to be fading behind the metool until it becomes just a silhouette, and as you can see, it's still a WIP.  Before I do rest of the work, I want to know if there are any changes I should make to the basic outline.  (I don't want to have to go back and re-do everything just because of a small change in this).

The first frame is the most recent edit of the colored metool, which I'm using as a reference.  For the most part, the only colors I used were the ones in the original palette, save for one extra dark red.  Later I'll use the shades of color from the dark metool to transition into the silhouette.

EDIT:  I switched the colors of the shadows to be bluer, more nightish.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 06:04:15 pm by Keand64 »
OH MY GOD ITS AIRMAN!!

Offline Keand64

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 07:18:18 pm
Finally finished the outline for the animation, although there's still a lot to be done (dithering to blend the colors, modification of the shadine of the cross on his head, general cleaning up, etc.), but I wanted to get some critique on this 'sketch' before I go and do all of the detailing.

EDIT: I did some basic dithering, just to see what it would look like, (I managed to circumvent the tedious-ness by just taking one of the frames with five shades of colors and just changing the color scheme for each frame), although somewhere along the line I lost the dark blue shade.  I'm not entirely sure if I want to add intermediate frames between the ones I currently have... but anyways, tell me what you think:

I didn't bother to shade the cross yet since this was just a quick fix to test dithering, I also didn't re-add AA (which I am not looking forward to -_-).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 08:46:02 pm by Keand64 »
OH MY GOD ITS AIRMAN!!