AuthorTopic: NES Style Game Graphics  (Read 4833 times)

Offline Shoba

• View Profile

NES Style Game Graphics

on: August 31, 2010, 12:11:34 pm
Hi, I've been working on a NES like game lately. It is not really that much NES like since the resolution is to high and the color palette is pretty different from the NES. I just wanted to capture the look and feel of that era (And I was heavily inspired by this thread).

Any Criticism or suggestion would be appreciated :3.

Offline Demon11777

• View Profile

Re: NES Style Game Graphics

Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 12:28:13 pm
To be honest it looks pretty cool sofar :].Now i understand that your going for a bit of stylized lighting ,but the grass is wayy to bright in comparison to the dark ground. It hurts my eyes!!! I can only image the pain it would cause me if I was in motion!
Row Row Fight The Powah!

Offline CopynPaste

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 01:21:07 pm
I wouldn't really say it's NES at first glance, but more like SNES. It'd be better if the stones had only 3 colors instead of 4, and the leaves of the trees also had 3 colors (black counts as a color here). As for the grass, it is far too bright in that special scene...
Although, the character looks quite nifty and goes well with the feeling.
"You got five seconds, five seconds I tell you, before everything in this world, this universe and everybody who inhab" ~[insertnamehere]

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 12:10:55 am
I like it. The rocks look very nice :y: The grass is very bright, especially since it is a night scene. Also, it would be nice to see how the entire tree looks without the sprite in the way. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 12:13:16 am by Mush »

Offline Shoba

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 08:21:03 am
Thanks for the feedback. The grass is actually supposed to be glowing grass. Nah, who am I kidding... It really looks way to bright. I toned the whole thing down. Here is a look at the tileset, where the tree can be seen as well. I think I'll have to create some more trees, maybe bigger ones, and details to break up the monotony, especially the edges where it goes straight down.

here's a screen shot with the toned down grass. I also changed the background a little bit to reduce the total amount of colours (still beyond 16...).

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 01:17:45 pm
The moon AA really don't work with the new sky colours. I strongly suggest you revert to your previous look and consider that your background is implemented with a HBLANK-backdrop-colour-reprogramming trick, and that it therefore doesn't count as palette colours.

You may want to tint your tree differently, also. It currently looks lighter than the sky itself while it should be the other way round. That could be linked to human eyes seeing greens much better than blues.

Otherwise, nice work. I really love the rocks, although rocky tops could use some random variations.

Offline Drake Graves

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 06:47:46 pm
I know this is an old as hell thread, but I reworked the color palette a little and wanted to share.

Honestly I'll be shocked if anybody gives a care, let alone notices!

« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 06:50:20 pm by Drake Graves »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 11:58:39 pm
I think overall these colours are more interesting, but it's a bit hard to read compared to the old palette. The walkable and non-walkable areas aren't much different in their values.

Your moon is lit from above, which means the sun should be above the horizon (= daytime) xP