AuthorTopic: Hair/Character Design/Color C+C  (Read 4063 times)

Offline iggybork

• View Profile

Hair/Character Design/Color C+C

on: August 31, 2010, 03:39:25 am
I don't know how long I've been working on this, but the main problem has been the hair. The olive-colored "green" face was inspired by the 4-color Mafia Boss palette challenge, which I was initially using as a base to test different hairstyles. I wanted to try something crazy and FF-inspired, but in the end I decided it was best to stick with something realistic for this character. The neck is also bugging me.

C+C on anything!

The reference was an image on Flickr. I've lost the link, but it's pasted into my in-progress file, which I can paste here if it's needed.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 03:43:12 am by iggybork »

Offline Kain Nobel

• View Profile

Re: Hair/Character Design/Color C+C

Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 05:42:48 am
The newer is starting to really hit closer to home, as the eyes, nose and lips feel more photo realistic than the previous versions. As far as the hair goes, I like the way it flows in the "newer" version, but I feel like the highlight on the bangs was better executed in the "old" version. The way the "newer" version is, the stronger highlight next to the ear clashes with the dark shading on the cheek, which makes me unsure of where the primary light sources are coming from.

I really like how you've put little splashes of green into the skin tone, but I don't really feel its appropriately applied on the nose, and too much was used around her left eye and eyebrow which makes it feel blurry from afar.

I think the pallet on the skintone should be tweaked just a little more, the mid and shadow tones feel like they're too yellow/red and perhaps should be desaturated just a tiny bit, while the highlight tone is perfect. Also, going from dithering on the cheek to the style of shading you did on the neck is somewhat throwing the image as a whole off. Lastly, I would use just a little less of the red-ish color on the cheek, as it looks like she just woke up after sleeping on carpet.

Offline iggybork

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 03:44:55 pm
Okay, I guess I do need to post the reference.

The trouble I'm having with the bangs is that the reference I used was a professional photograph with really hard lighting coming from two directions, so the shadow on the right cheek is a monster, but there's still light coming from the right. Actually, now that I look at it, the primary light source is the one on the right side, and the rest of the face is slightly in shadow. Craaaap.

You're right about the neck. And the rugburn! I was experimenting with hue-shifting because the idea was new to me, and maybe I overdid it on the face.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 04:16:14 pm
Nothing to panic about I think?

Offline iggybork

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 02:19:10 pm
Gwuh! Thank you Helm. :D

Just curious, but was there any reason behind the slightly pinker cast in your palette change?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 02:23:53 pm by iggybork »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 09:31:58 am
Your reference is pinker is all.  :)

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 12:04:42 pm
I remember this from PJ, glad you're still going with it!

The trouble I'm having with the bangs is that the reference I used was a professional photograph with really hard lighting coming from two directions, so the shadow on the right cheek is a monster, but there's still light coming from the right. Actually, now that I look at it, the primary light source is the one on the right side, and the rest of the face is slightly in shadow.

The main light is actually that from the left side, which is soft and bluish/cold.
The light from the right side back although as strong, is secondary in the sense that the pic would still be good and readable without it. Maybe even better ;) It is harder and warmer leaning towards the pink.

They both have important effect in the hair, which you haven't yet introduced to your piece.
Even though I've never drawn or pixelled hair, I'd say the way to go is to block out those wide colored light and shadow patches in the hair, and refine from there. Just what you've done for the face so far!