AuthorTopic: Vehicles  (Read 3052 times)

Offline Kain Nobel

• View Profile

Vehicles

on: August 30, 2010, 03:23:48 pm
Hello and good day folks!

I have been planning for a game project based on our modern times, so with that in mind, I have been spriting different vehicles to fit into the setting. So far, I just wanted to make the basics; 1 car, 1 truck, 1 helicopter, I plan on making a bunch more different types and styles (and obviously, pallet swaps, hehe), but first I must ensure that how I have been doing it is effective and pleasing to look at, or if there are certain aspects I need to imrpove on.

Each sprite I'm attempting to use a somewhat limited pallet (16 colors avg), with the shadow of the vehicle and the need-to-be transparent part of the windows sharing the same color. Since the game is a run of the mill RPG, it uses the run of the mill RPG 45 degree-or-so top down perspective, which was probably the biggest challenge thus far.

Car

Tires are lacking detail and look very bland, I know. My hurdle right now is I need a good tire and rim design, and I need a set of these that are rotating. Dashboard and steering wheel coming soon ;D

Truck

Happy with the rim/tire design I guess, still need to make an interior (appologies for the shoddy looking windows, those are temp), and some other stuff; pixels speak louder in images than text...

Helicopter

The helicopter is a little different from the other two, needs last minute details like rudder, antenna, animate the blades, etc... not doing semi-transparent interior shot. Challenge here wasn't the perspective (don't need 45-ish degree view here) but rather the angle of it tilting forward. What I would like to do is, in each frame, make a visual 'whoosh' effect with the blades... if anybody has advice on that ;)

Anyways, C&C and feel free to mess with my work to get an example across. I'm hoping I'm not doing too bad so far!  ???

Offline circuscommando

• View Profile

Re: Vehicles

Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 02:36:15 am
the helicopter.  banding.
he hobbles and hobbles.

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Re: Vehicles

Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 12:15:45 pm
The cars shapes are very basic and squarish. Most planes are either vertical or horizontal. Cars don't look like that.
You should look for references at that angle. If possible, sketch some cars on the street seen from a building at some distance and height.
Also the dark inner outlines emphasize the effect. Think of highlights instead.

The helicopter is not at the same perspective, and generally looks totally out of style with the cars.