AuthorTopic: Revamping my Website  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Afr0Blu3

• View Profile

Revamping my Website

on: August 30, 2010, 08:43:53 am
So, I'm basically redoing my entire website to make it look a lot more professional and generally more asthetically pleasing. I know exactly what I want to do, however I only know basic HTML and if I create this in Flash I worry it would be difficult to update on a regular basis, so I'm basically asking what my best bet is to make this site.

Here's some images of what I want to do.

If any of you guys have any ideas as to how to go about this, that would be awesome.

Offline questseeker

• View Profile

Re: Revamping my Website

Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 01:36:29 pm
Rollover animations like in the first sketch can be done with the CSS hover pseudo-class (switching box size, layout and position), without even resorting to Javascript. Look for existing image gallery solutions, most likely linked to some PHP content management system.

There are some things I don't like:
  • Do you really think an animated logo wouldn't make you look 15 years behind the times?
  • There has to be more text. Titles like "Pencils", "Inks" etc. are valuable: if the anchor images are a pencil dragon and an ink tree the reader can misconstrue the categories as "fantasy game art" and "nature drawing".
  • Why do you want to scroll a lot of images horizontally, wasting most vertical space you have, if the images can be divided into meaningful categories and subpages instead? Many details, such as "I drew these nudes in high school over the course of three weeks, then my girlfriend got bored" should be in upper level pages rather than in the pages of individual works.