AuthorTopic: Tree  (Read 26202 times)

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Re: Tree

Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 11:44:45 pm
Leaves?  :P

You're starting on so many new trees, but they all look the same. I think we could help more if you posted your reference image, and stopped posting a brand new tree every day. Just stick to one, and work at it for a lot longer than what you have been with these. One nice thing about pixel art is that you can correct your mistakes more easily than in any other medium that I know of, and you don't need to start something completely new just to try to correct some small errors.

Right now your leaves are still just balls of color. Your palm leaves are definitely improving, and that's great, but you really need to just search out what a tree really looks like. Does it only have 4 branches? does it really have four huge inflatable balls impaled onto those branches? You don't need to draw each leaf, but you do need to learn how to imply those leaves with smaller, more controlled blobs of color that emulate the actual compound shape of the leaves.

Here's a quick demonstration:

Those are the blobs of leaves I see in that tree. It's just a matter of picking out where the light hits the leaves and where it doesn't. Obviously you'd normally go into much more detail with a serious piece, where you'd find the blobs of many more different shades to where you could see some of the leaves, you'd pick out where the background peeks through the leaves, you'd pick out the parts of the exposed branches, you'd pick out the texture of the trunk; you'd go as far as you and your schedule could stand. Your ability and tolerance will get higher and you'll be able to get further into details more easily over time.
On a side note, notice the ratio of leaf-to-trunk. The trunk looks tiny compared to the leaves because they hide most of the trunk and branches from view.

While I don't suggest tracing the image of any tree for a serious piece of artwork, you can be justified in trying to get a sense of what shape the blobs really are with some tracing around. After you get a feel for how these shapes really look, you can try eyeballing it for your real piece. It will always be off, and don't worry about that, just try to get it as close as you can. Don't try to manipulate it or guess for something, try to find it in the image and imitate whats there, even if it feels like it would be wrong.

Just really try to see what actually makes the tree look like a tree.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 11:52:26 pm by Kcilc »

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 04:35:07 pm
Right now I'm going to focus on making a tree similar to this.

I used this picture to know the structure of an tree.

http://visual.merriam-webster.com/images/plants-gardening/plants/tree/structure-tree.jpg

Offline Kain Nobel

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 06:48:51 pm
A good friend of mine on another forum wrote up this tree walkthrough, with some in depth information of each step of how she makes her trees. Pay attention to how she does the foilage, while still leaving hints of the trunk visible. Also note how the trunk isn't a perfectly smooth body rising out of the ground, its rather rugged, the way alot of real tree trunks appear.

http://www.hbgames.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=57160

This is another one I like to refer to lately, before I ever start foilage. Surely, you don't need to go into as much detail as this guy does, but just reading it alone helped me improve from the trees I've done prior to reading, to next tree I did after skimming through it. Difference between the foilage here, and the foilage in the previous example, is the leaves are well defined. I wouldn't suggest going through the trouble of hand pixeling every leaf cluster like this guy does, unless you really want to, but rather just pay attention to the basic idea of how he did them.

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=10520.0

One of the major killers of all your trees is the saturation is way too high (or too low, in rare cases), and you tend to make some oddball color choices for the trunks (red, purple, seriously?). Other than that, in some instances, it appears that you've done some excellent shading, but again... the color choice and saturation kills the pieces I'm referring to. Perhaps high saturation is a style you're actually aiming for, but don't crank it too much because it is rather unpleasant on the eyes.

I did notice that you are using some color theory that might actually be executed correctly (in some sense), but again... over saturated. When it comes to using purple for shadows, yellow for highlights, etc, its been taken way too literally. A hint of a purple hue where there would be, say brown, would be more effective than going literally violet, and even then the brightness is too high to be a shading color. One thing to do is grayscale your image, to see if your shadows are indeed darker than your highlights... it might look funkier than you imagined, but it'll help you figure out what areas need the most color adjustment.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 06:50:43 pm
Lol the funny thing is I'm studying both of those foliage :lol:

But thanks for your advice , basically I have found them yesterday when I were doing more research for foliage etc.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 02:35:57 am
So far
I'm still struggling with leaves in some way , http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=8291.0 <- studying that.

but still can someone bring up an example or something :s.

Edit:

Can someone show an example on how they would shade this tree (_ _)'

« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 10:11:19 pm by micintexp »

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 03:40:55 pm

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:00:37 pm by micintexp »

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 01:06:14 am
Your canopy is still way too small. Make it at least double the size it is right now!

You're progressing very well all in all though. I really like how your leaves are coming along, and your colors are getting very yummy :)

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 02:29:48 am
Thanks for the advice.

Big enough or still small :).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 02:34:16 am by micintexp »

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 05:30:38 am
A link from my forum, sorry it's in french (and not pixel art) but only with picture you should understand the problem is your light and shadow
you should choice a light direction (generally the sun is placed at the left/up side)

We saw too much root and don't seams to be on the floor
http://www.rpgmakerxp-factory.net/forum/index.php/topic,8884.msg78751.html#msg78751

my tree with the method i posted , it's not perfect but you can see volume and where the sun should be placed  ^^
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 05:32:53 am by kriss »

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 10:02:37 am
The reason I were leaving the branches a bit dark is due that my foliage will cover it up either way , and besides that the darkness I were going to do something different with it when I put my foliage one it which you can see on the other trees that I have posted.

You just have give me a great idea, now I'm seeing that my last tree is having some flaws at the branches.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 10:08:09 am by micintexp »