AuthorTopic: Tree  (Read 26079 times)

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Tree

on: August 28, 2010, 02:26:04 am
Hey,Guys.

Last time I made thread about tree etc. but it didn't go that well due that I was lacking sketch knowledge , but now I think I have improve a little bit more into my drawing skills
and decide to return back to make icons.
Right now I'm an amateur I started to do pixel once again after 7 months so I'm pretty much the same nab as I were 7 months ago.

But here are some previews of trees that I made today .

The first one at the top is my latest one.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 02:29:21 am by micintexp »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Tree

Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 03:04:29 am
You have improved for sure, nice job. Keep it up! Someday, you may attain 1/512th of my skill. Just keep at it! Post your sketch practice here.

Top middle is best. The middle mirrored trees are scary. The trunk makes no sense. Why does taper thicker as it goes up?

Bottom tree is just a painterly mess. I know you can do better than that and don't need crit on tech for that one. Of it's overall shape though, I will say it is very typically cartoonishly simplified. The perfect oval canopy won't occur in nature. I don't know your intent, though. Photo-realism or cubism? See what I mean? What are you going for? I can't helpfully direct you if you don't clue me in first.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 09:03:47 pm by Mathias »

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 03:46:32 am
Honestly speaking the third wasn't really meant to be anything.And the mirrored one I were just trying something  out there m but I think my first is better I guess.

Here are some of the trees I sketched as you requested.

Other thing I started to draw trees like 2 days ago , since I were mostly practicing on drawing objects etc.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 05:05:32 pm

Palm trunk tryout.

I were studying this dude trunk http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/17121.htm.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 05:07:03 pm by micintexp »

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 06:09:35 pm

« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 10:02:53 pm by micintexp »

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 12:30:13 am
Wait up! I think you're moving backwards with your two newest additions.

I love what you did with the leaves on the one with lots of contrast, and I think you should fall back to that one. Are you using any kind of reference for these, or just winging it? If you're just winging it, STOP. It feels like a sin to use a reference I know, but it's not. You're not blindly copying the image, you're studying it so that you know how a tree works. A lot of what makes you able to draw is knowledge of how stuff works, and right now it doesn't seem like you understand what makes a tree a tree in an artist's eye.

You don't need to take a class in botany, but you'll need to figure out how light will affect the tree, what shapes are present, what its proportions are, what colors it has, and artisty stuff. Basically, if you want to get better, you'll need to observe meticulously.

As for what you have right now, your textures all seem the same dither noise. I'm not saying dither noise doesn't ever work, I'm just saying it all feels the same right now. I think that some smoothness in a couple places would help a whole lot with variety and visual interest.

Your leaves seem a little bit too small for your trunk. It's generally good to have the leaves take up just as much or more of the canvas than the trunk...at least for a lot of trees. Also, your coconuts would be in shadow, and they would be much darker.

But yeah, I really like what you did with the leaves on that top one. Keep shading them more like that!

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 02:09:44 am
Wait up! I think you're moving backwards with your two newest additions.

I love what you did with the leaves on the one with lots of contrast, and I think you should fall back to that one. Are you using any kind of reference for these, or just winging it? If you're just winging it, STOP. It feels like a sin to use a reference I know, but it's not. You're not blindly copying the image, you're studying it so that you know how a tree works. A lot of what makes you able to draw is knowledge of how stuff works, and right now it doesn't seem like you understand what makes a tree a tree in an artist's eye.

You don't need to take a class in botany, but you'll need to figure out how light will affect the tree, what shapes are present, what its proportions are, what colors it has, and artisty stuff. Basically, if you want to get better, you'll need to observe meticulously.

As for what you have right now, your textures all seem the same dither noise. I'm not saying dither noise doesn't ever work, I'm just saying it all feels the same right now. I think that some smoothness in a couple places would help a whole lot with variety and visual interest.

Your leaves seem a little bit too small for your trunk. It's generally good to have the leaves take up just as much or more of the canvas than the trunk...at least for a lot of trees. Also, your coconuts would be in shadow, and they would be much darker.

But yeah, I really like what you did with the leaves on that top one. Keep shading them more like that!

Thank you for your words , I really appreciated it.

I do use refference , right now I'm trying to study these palm trees.

http://www.untiredwithloving.org/palm_tree_2.jpg

And the last palm I were merely trying something new with the leaves by watching this dude palm tree http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/17121.htm I was like why not lets try something near the line like that instead of wasting countless of hours.

But again I'm also trying to figure out something in my own style without needing to copy someone :).

Last try for today.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 04:12:41 am by micintexp »

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 04:08:03 am
Oh good! It didn't seem like it to me because your trees looked so drastically different, sorry about that.  :-[

Hah, I used that same reference picture to churn up an example, but reconsidered posting it since it wouldn't have really helped with the stuff I wrote. Good old google!
Alright, so right now I'll come out and tell you not to worry about style yet. Just try to reconstruct what you see for now. Lemme suggest something that you may or may not be used to doing; draw a tree's silhouette using only negative space. I'd say that you will want to try an oak tree or something that has a more dense leaf structure than a palm tree. Just try to pick out the shapes the sky makes around the tree and through its leaves. In fact, for all of the trees you draw, don't try to draw a tree; draw only the shapes and lines you see that make up the tree.

I'm liking your new tree. Although I still feel like the leaves don't have quite enough contrast. By contrast I do not mean the value of the shades you've chosen; they're plenty contrasting enough in that respect. Look at that palm tree reference you posted, and notice how the shades are distributed.
This is what I see:

The leaves are actually much more isolated in terms of value because some of the leaves are in shadow with only the ambient light from the sky to keep them colorful, while others are getting hit full on by the sun. Leaves will never ever all have the same about of sunlight hitting them, not even close to that actually. Try to distribute your shades accordingly, and refrain from using all of your shades for each leaf or leaf cluster. This is always best to work out in the very early stages of your art since the more work you put into something the more attached you get to it, and it's really hard to get it all right your first try. I did a lot of reworking just for that little example.

Another thing to remember is that you don't wanna make a straight color ramp of green and a straight ramp of brown for the leaves and trunk respectively. In your reference picture there's a lot of blue and yellow in its leaves, and it will make your art pop out and tell everyone, "I'm a tree!" if you can find the actual colors that make it up. Generally, things slowly hint towards yellow as they get lighter and tint towards blue as they get darker because of the sun and sky. Or, if you're doing a piece with different lighting, then just remember that warmer = lighter colors and darker = cooler colors. Just remember that for a guideline though. Just play around with hue shifting as we call it and find something that you like to use.
Here are the colors I see in the trunk and leaves:

Also notice how I began working in the details. What I did was try to emulate the actual leaf structure by first making those light lines through the middles where I saw them on the reference picture. Then I drew a couple more lines out from the middle lines and within the silhouettes I created earlier, and finally drew some of the leaves sticking out of the big blob of color, and made little indentations where the leaves weren't. It was super easy to get the leaves worked in that way than just muscling through it all all at once. That's the reason I said to observe meticulously, and really study how a tree or anything works. Just remember that details aren't very welcome in a piece until you've got the basic idea down really nicely because theres always major structure issues that need to be fixed after the first couple tries, and it's really easy to fix them without any details.

So yeah, don't draw a tree, don't draw tree colors, observe the shapes, and let the image itself tell us it's a tree.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 04:14:09 am by Kcilc »

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 07:00:14 pm
Idk , but I'm kinda having a hard time to draw what the image is xD.
Any other methods I should try before going to do that one?

But anyway I'm gonna try something different then come back to the palm.

Still need to do the shading on the leaves etc.

--------------------------------------

Edit:

Added few color to the old palm tree.

--------------------------------------

Edit:

« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 03:03:26 am by micintexp »

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 10:17:40 pm

Any ideas what to put above the tree...