AuthorTopic: [WIP] Need a little bit of help over here-  (Read 8104 times)

Offline CopynPaste

• View Profile

[WIP] Need a little bit of help over here-

on: August 27, 2010, 09:40:27 am
Hey, I'm new to this site, but I've been recently working on a game with another group -that I wish to keep secret as of now- and the spriting works, so far, haven't really taken any large steps, so I'm going to show you what I have done over the months in order to explain my beginning errors and how I fixed them. Oh, by the way, if this is any help, the game is a sidescrolling adventure-sci-fi-RPG mix, and I would like the sprites to emanate the impression of stylized realism, as well as some fantasy to it... Think of TWEWY sprites, and maybe you'll get my drift.

1st: Basically the first sprite of said game. Many errors- lack of contrast in colors, crappy colors overall, anatomy failure, and complete lack of any emotion whatsoever.

2nd: Second sprite, already slightly better. Some anatomical issues solved, some color issues solved, although still complete lack of emotion in face (which is, by the way, if you haven't guessed, one of our prime factors as of now).

3rd: Third sprite, a few more fixes, but doesn't really change from the 2nd.

4th, 5th, 6th, 7th: These sprites are all in the same style. There are some color issues, some anatomical issues. We kept this style longer than the three previous ones.

8th, 9th, 10th: These are a complete style rehaul. No color changes, so there are still color issues, and maybe even some banding. This is the style we kept longest.

11th, 12th: New style, that we have decided to keep, although I'm searching for maybe some things I could fix. Others of the group say it's perfect, but they don't have very advanced spriting knowledge -and I don't blame them-. So now I'm here, asking you what errors I could repair with the sprite? Contrast? Anatomical issues? The left arm needs some thickening, all right, but there's something with the right robotic arm... Length?

Anyways, C+C please.

[EDIT]- By the way, this was also made in the before-last style.

C+C, or no C+C, I don't really mind...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 12:28:58 pm by CopynPaste »
"You got five seconds, five seconds I tell you, before everything in this world, this universe and everybody who inhab" ~[insertnamehere]

Offline Organ_House

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Need a little bit of help over here-

Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 10:05:07 pm
Your sprites are a little rough and tumble, but still really creative, dynamic and cool. The smaller stuff is a little better imo.

I especially like the last one, though watch the animation on the birds. It's a little off (you're having them move their wings up and down in a very basic and simple way, when simply hovering about would require a different kind of wing movement.)

Offline CopynPaste

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 07:26:15 am
Your sprites are a little rough and tumble, but still really creative, dynamic and cool. The smaller stuff is a little better imo.

I especially like the last one, though watch the animation on the birds. It's a little off (you're having them move their wings up and down in a very basic and simple way, when simply hovering about would require a different kind of wing movement.)
Well, you see, since the beginning of my career in spriting, I've never really looked at tutorials or how to do things. I just saw and tried to do the same, before I tried doing my own style, which, after a few days, managed to do. But most of the terms of spriting, I don't really know what they're about, although I most probably know why they're bad (such as banding - learned it yesterday, although I know that grouped-up pixels lowers resolution since long).
Why do you think the smaller stuff is better? My friend said that the newer style is more likely to go...
As for the birds, I guess I wanted to keep it simple... It isn't really a big animation, so I didn't put that much work into it except for the sprites of the robot and the kid.
"You got five seconds, five seconds I tell you, before everything in this world, this universe and everybody who inhab" ~[insertnamehere]

Offline Demon11777

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 08:09:36 am
The last guy has a kinda team ico feel to it  :D :y: :y:
Row Row Fight The Powah!

Offline CopynPaste

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 09:50:24 am
"team ico".
Er, what.

Offline Demon11777

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 09:41:22 pm
"team ico".
Er, what.

The guys who made Ico, Shadow of the colossus and are working on the last guardian.
Row Row Fight The Powah!

Offline CopynPaste

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 04:34:49 pm
"team ico".
Er, what.

The guys who made Ico, Shadow of the colossus and are working on the last guardian.
I see... Hm, he didn't give me that impression, nor does he give it to me now...

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 01:32:54 pm
Guys, that's a lot of one-liners that don't really give the original poster anything to work with. Try to focus on giving critique.

(and I apologize for not giving any myself, I'm in moderator mode right now! I'll get into crit mode some other time, and we'll see then)
' _ '

Offline CopynPaste

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 06:33:40 pm
Guys, that's a lot of one-liners that don't really give the original poster anything to work with. Try to focus on giving critique.

(and I apologize for not giving any myself, I'm in moderator mode right now! I'll get into crit mode some other time, and we'll see then)
Thank you -_- I'll need that critique to try and improve my work...

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 08:20:00 pm
well, alot of the characters have little or no shading. Which makes them look kind of flat. Also, all the colors are pretty desaturated and don't work together.

I would spend more time on the colors. I think that's where most improvement is needed. And some more shading would help.