AuthorTopic: Pixelart Design Pricing  (Read 4241 times)

Offline Theoden

• View Profile
    • My Gallery

Pixelart Design Pricing

on: August 26, 2010, 08:11:17 am
Hi,
I wish to ask a question about pricing pixelart for flash games.

I picked up a  flash platform game project and I am going to design the character and background.
But I have no idea how much money I should demand. This is my first professional work and I need some advice from people who
work on platform games and earn money.

I am working on a game similar to this: http://armorgames.com/play/5599/amil

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 09:16:19 am by Theoden »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Pixelart Design Pricing

Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 10:57:34 am
The standard is around $ 8-10 an hour. If you're getting paid by the asset, you can just figure out the average time it will take and charge based on that.

Offline Theoden

• View Profile
    • My Gallery

Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 11:07:32 am
The standard is around $ 8-10 an hour. If you're getting paid by the asset, you can just figure out the average time it will take and charge based on that.

Thank you for the info.

Offline Moribund

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 04:08:02 am

D: That's awful. Even for fairly experienced spriters?

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 04:38:42 am
United States federal minimum wage is currently $7.25/hour. That's a McDonald's burger-maker.

Surely Ryu is undershooting. Yikes!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 04:50:56 am
Yes I didn't want to say anything because everyone does what they think is right, but 8-10$ an hour is not a good standard rate for artistic work.

Offline Theoden

• View Profile
    • My Gallery

Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 07:43:45 am
Unfortunately clients are very tight about payments.. Just not fair, I might reconsider working with this client.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 03:21:00 pm
I was gonna comment on that too but to be honest I don't know what the average is so I didn't want to go around waving false figures.

I've only been freelancing for two months or so, but I've worked at rates ranging from $5-$40/hour. It really depends on who you work for. Working for individuals of course pays less than working for companies, and companies are more responsible and you have more security working for them. I never would have worked for $5/hour of my own accord, that was just me being stupid and not signing a contract because I was so giddy about my first job. I wound up only getting half of the initially discussed payment.

I think something around 15-20 is common though, right? I know flash games get their revenue from being picked up by a portal - so your income might be a % of that purchase price. It actually might be cheaper for them to pay you something like $15 an hour, depending on how much work is going into it. Get a detailed list of all the assets you'll need to create, from that you should be able to determine roughly how many hours.

Not all clients are tight. If you have that gut feeling tearing you up inside that your time isn't being purchased for the right amount, don't take the job. : )

Offline Theoden

• View Profile
    • My Gallery

Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 09:23:12 pm
I was gonna comment on that too but to be honest I don't know what the average is so I didn't want to go around waving false figures.

I've only been freelancing for two months or so, but I've worked at rates ranging from $5-$40/hour. It really depends on who you work for. Working for individuals of course pays less than working for companies, and companies are more responsible and you have more security working for them. I never would have worked for $5/hour of my own accord, that was just me being stupid and not signing a contract because I was so giddy about my first job. I wound up only getting half of the initially discussed payment.

I think something around 15-20 is common though, right? I know flash games get their revenue from being picked up by a portal - so your income might be a % of that purchase price. It actually might be cheaper for them to pay you something like $15 an hour, depending on how much work is going into it. Get a detailed list of all the assets you'll need to create, from that you should be able to determine roughly how many hours.

Not all clients are tight. If you have that gut feeling tearing you up inside that your time isn't being purchased for the right amount, don't take the job. : )

Yes I totally agree with you, thanks for the advice