AuthorTopic: [WIP] Woman in a blue jacket.  (Read 3655 times)

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

[WIP] Woman in a blue jacket.

on: August 19, 2010, 12:26:14 pm

Critique please.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 07:04:46 pm by CrazyMLC »

Offline jazcks

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Woman in a blue jacket.

Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 10:56:58 pm
I think hair is like plastic, too solid.   :-\

Offline Demon11777

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 11:25:17 pm
yea, the first thing I noticed was the hair too. It's too straight, give it some waves and volume ;)
Row Row Fight The Powah!

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 01:35:28 am
Well, i've made an edit dealing with the plastic-like hair and some aspects of the facial anatomy.

I changed the hair to look like it is not one object, and to add more shine to it in areas that should be shiny, I also added some form to it and took gravity into consideration on the right side of the hair. My skills aren't as good as they could be, but you see my point.
I lowered the eyes and the top of the mouth as i think the face looked a little too long as it was before.
One thing i did not mess with but could be looked at is your extensive palette, there are too many colors and therefore makes it difficult to shade with the same colors. Limiting the palette could be a smart move (i noticed in the skin/hair area there were some colors that were very similar)

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 06:57:55 am
One thing about her hair is that I'm wanting to make it kind of smooth and silky.
However, I like the general idea behind your edit, but I'm having trouble incorporating it while keeping the smooth silky feeling.

I hadn't lowered the eyes out of hesitation, but seeing your edit made me see that it could work.

I changed the hair.

I fixed some contrast issues with the face.

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 12:11:35 pm
I noticed some banding in some small areas. Wish I could edit this (but don't have the time at this precise moment), I brought this site that covers what you need to know about banding in case you need it: http://www.pixel.schlet.net/
Most people covered the points in the hair, so on regards the shading... it looks good for the most part, but you have to drop all those colors man. I personally use no more than 4 shades for the skin / 4 shades for clothing / etc. Try using the same number of shades for each color. You can go from min 4-6 shades... that's more or less how I do it. I'm sure that once you start getting used to using only this small amount of shades, not only it will take a lot less time for you to complete a piece, it'll also be a lot easier to shade, and will look much better since there will be a vast difference in contrast.

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 07:02:34 pm
Me and banding know each other well, in fact, we're worst enemies.
Though sometimes he can be devious and avoid my searching gaze, he is an easy opponent!

However, last time I fought him, I had the mercy to not finish him off!
Then he ran off and recovered, and I totally forgot to defeat him once more.
(I forgot to save my changes... >_> )

As far as colors, I am using too many. It's mainly because I was trying to make her skin smooth. (The person in the picture is based off of a character a friend of mine came up with; she can control her appearance and therefore would have very smooth skin... no?)
But that's no excuse, especially as most of my colors are in the hair.

I went ahead and fought off all of the banding I could see, and I took about five colors out of the image.

(Here's the image on the background color it'll be on when I finish it.)

Comments and critiques are appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 07:14:20 pm by CrazyMLC »