AuthorTopic: [WIP]First Ever 8 state walk animation(first time using base this big too.)  (Read 7128 times)

Offline e4r

• View Profile
Anyways, this is my first time making a walking state with 8 states. I usually use 32 x 32 bases, and amke 4. So I'm new to this "smooth walking" stuff for bigger bases. Any crits would be appreciated.

Here it is:

Offline buddy90

• View Profile
The biggest problem is that character keeps jumping around a few pixels every frame. Make sure he's in the same position every frame or it's not going to look good.

The legs seem to be fine, just make his left leg darker so we know we can differentiate between the legs.

The arms are way too long and the animation does not match the legs.

Offline e4r

• View Profile
alright, i edited it, it looks way better to me. anymore Crits please?

Edit:

I still don't think I got the bounce right. >_>

Also, anyone got any south walking guide, south as in you can see the whole body.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 03:26:08 am by e4r »

Offline Demon11777

• View Profile
When the right arm is fully retracted the shoulder changes color slightly, it's rather distracting.
Row Row Fight The Powah!

Offline e4r

• View Profile
Alright, I fixed it I think. More crits?

Edit:

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile
Here is my best advice: don't try and add moving arms and legs onto a static torso. Walking is an action that involves the entire body, and to get the best out of your animation you should draw every frame by itself. This involves twisting the torso, shoulders and pelvis. Don't need to make it extreme, but it does need to exist. Just think of seeing part of the back when his close arm is forward, and seeing part of his front when his closer arm is back.

As for the bounce, try a nice sine wave, so the head is constantly moving smoothly up and down.

Offline e4r

• View Profile
I don't think I'm that good to twist all that lol. And I'm also a bit confused at what you mean, that might be my problem
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 03:55:33 am by e4r »

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile
You're definitely good enough, you just need to put more effort into each frame. Animation is a time consuming and tedious process, any shortcut you take is going to impair the quality of the overall animation. Copying and pasting the same torso for every frame is going to make it look stale and stiff. By twisting, I mean that the torso rotates as the arms swing, making the shoulders move back and forth. the arms don't pivot on the torso like a pinwheel, they swing along with the movement of the shoulders. If you don't understand still, then just get up and run, and pay attention to the movement of your shoulders.

Offline e4r

• View Profile
Alright I re-did walking because that other one looked like extra speedy walking. My friend let me use his walk as a ref.

Here it is:

Critz please.

Offline OriginalAdric

• View Profile
    • Adric's House of 'Staches
Not bad, but it could definitely use some work. As was pointed out earlier, the moving arms/legs look odd on a torso that doesn't move at all. When you walk, you're constantly falling and catching yourself, so there should be a bit of up/down bob to the torso as a whole. The timing in the loop seems a bit off. He brings his arm forward normally, then moves it back more quickly. You might want to pace the forward/back swing more evenly.

The legs don't move like walking legs would. It looks like you're animating the way you think a walk looks rather than how someone moves when they walk. They aren't extending their legs and pulling them under themselves, they're pushing off, falling forward, catching, pushing, falling, etc.