AuthorTopic: Unofficial main character[WIP]  (Read 9878 times)

Offline Demon11777

• View Profile

Re: Unofficial main character[WIP]

Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 11:44:26 pm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us  Looks better than the old stance for sure :)   Any thoughts?     decided to go with a regular cape
Row Row Fight The Powah!

Offline CodeCriminal

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 12:02:10 am
I really dont want to offend here but im going to have to attack the hair (just a little :) )..

First of all, the large singular spike is odd.. ever see an advert where this girl/guy couldnt get a piece of her to go down? it would just keep spiking up, this one piece. He/she was having a bad hair day.
Also there is a clump of hair behind his ear? like he is wearing a hair-net.

On a lighter note, there is definate improvement from the first image, notably the head has been fixed and doesnt look as though he is taking a huge inhale, the legs.. somehwat fixed.. though still need work.. they look out of proportion with eachother to me. The shading in the blade is quite decent.

Take a look at broadswords/great swords, if thats a 2-handed weapon then the shaft should be longer to compensate for the size of his hands..

And blah blah blah blah blah..

Keep going! :D  :y:

PS: by far for me, hair was and is the hardest thing on a character to get looking good, but practice really does make (near enough) perfect! :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 12:04:02 am by CodeCriminal »

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 05:48:51 am
I liked the older stance better, purely because it seemed like he was leaning back to compensate for the weight of his sword. (I found it particularly humorous!)
But, I'm not sure if that was what you were going for.

On the new stance, the positions of the feet look... off. His right leg (our left) looks like it has a twisted ankle, at least to me.

On the body, the grey thing at his belly seems too wide to me, he looks a little fat.

His arms also seem a little short... and the sword looks like it should be closer to a 90 degree angle than it is now.

And lastly, it seems to have a slightly low contrast.

I like the cape! Keep going! (Bah, "Phrase Already in Use".) Keep on truckin'! :y:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 05:51:17 am by CrazyMLC »

Offline Demon11777

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 03:16:44 am
Ha why would i be offended? You actually took the time to help me so thanks :)  Heres an update :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us  I tried to take everything that was mentioned into consideration if i missed anything or if anything needs to be fixed/improved please feel free to tell me. Thanks again.
Row Row Fight The Powah!

Offline Vjay+

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 18, 2010, 03:16:44 pm
sprite is really good, actually. after looking throught the porgression, i really like it.
personally i don't rlly like the cape. maybe it's jsut me. But other than that it's perfect ;D

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 05:31:41 pm
I think the only thing wrong with the cape is the highlight. I think you should either get rid of it or bring down the brightness. Also, you might want to give him a longer neck, but only by one pixel. I'm not sure if that would work, but you could try it. The current sprite is much better than the original, nice job.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 06:49:06 pm
whats wrong with the cape, and indeed much of the sprite, is that it's not really informed by its own needs.  I'm not a stickler for realistic anatomy, however i think that there's a lot of noodle shapes going on and the cape is sorta stuck on top without really considering how it would attach to or fall around the character.  The breastplate and boots likewise are just filling a space with a material color. 

there's a few things to think about with each of these pieces of equipment.  what si the shape of the breastplate? how does it move as he moves? where does it fasten?  how is he mobile, and how does it break away from the arms and traverse the neck+shoulders?  what is the shape of his leg armor, and how is it fastened?  what is the shape of the cape?  although it's a classic superhero cape, these have never been worn in real life.  there are many types ofcape and cloak that have been invented by people who actually would wear them.  little known fact - most capes have sleeves or at least holes to reach the arms through, because it's very hard to keep a straight cape out of your way.  see http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41mHaikyLnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg .  This is true for all capes and cloaks worn by crusading knights as well, which is where we generally get the medieval inspiration.  otherwise we wear a poncholike garment, which raises over the arms to allow for mobility.  other capelike garments for combat are things like the jackets worn by later cavalry troops - a full coat fastened by a cord or chain at the collar and hung loosely over one shoulder.  fighting in a superman cape would be nearly impossible.  when one does see a full cape or cloak without sleeves, such as those worn by religious figures, it is almost always ceremonial and kept outside of any practical role.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Demon11777

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 02:26:14 am
Been playing around but I think it might be a step backwards =s

Uploaded with ImageShack.us decided to just forget the cape completely.
Row Row Fight The Powah!

Offline Demon11777

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011, 05:47:47 am
Been working on this guy a bit lately and I'm pretty happy in the direction it's going. 

Uploaded with ImageShack.us I don't really know how to go about shading the scarf. Any help is appreciated :) Also any comments or advise on pretty much anything is welcomed.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 07:51:55 pm by Demon11777 »
Row Row Fight The Powah!