AuthorTopic: (WIP) Pixel Shogun  (Read 3060 times)

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

(WIP) Pixel Shogun

on: August 16, 2010, 10:22:04 pm
Hey Pixelation,

I've entered the Pixeljoint Samurai palette challenge, with my (almost) first portrait ever, all media except photo.

I'm really interested in what you good people have to say about it.
(I don't promise I will actually work on it more, I don't say I won't either.)

Here is the latest version - I've not updated the challenge entry, since deadline is over and voting is on:

Reference image (high res version here):

I had not planned to copy a single ref, but a reality check made me change my mind. That's lame. I chose this one of all the shoguns on Wikimedia Commons because it is the portrait with the most shading, which was really helpful to me to understand the volumes (I'd love to do this one too, but there is almost no shading or it is lost in the photo).

Palette was imposed, crazy and lovely. No love nor effort was lost on the sword, don't mention it.

Thanks for feedback!

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Re: (WIP) Pixel Shogun

Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 01:07:20 am
Pretty accurate translation into pixels. The added pattern on the wall and clothes is a nice touch.

I think you were too overzealous on the shading around the face, those shadows under his eyes are just too dark. It makes his eyes pop out far too much.

BTW what do the japanese letters say?

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 01:44:21 am
Thanks EvilEye, good point!
Why didn't I notice that?
It could be hard to fix, the palette transition between grey and light purple being a huge jump at a critical range.

It's supposed to mean Shogun, according to Wikimedia. I guess I should rather be looking for the guy's name.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 02:42:47 am
not sure which changes might be helpful and which might be steps in the wrong stylistic direction, but here's an edit:

made the lower half of the face a little longer by dropping the chin, moved the eye up and in a little toward the center (or maybe just in and not up, don't recall). ear is a little more slender than the ref (and rounder), but it didn't bug me enough to adjust it.

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 02:53:50 am
Thanks a lot Cure, you offer help on issues I knew I had without knowing!
I'll see that in detail tomorrow, but what strikes me at first glance is the impact of those few darkest pixels. They make him alive!