AuthorTopic: RPG Case Study  (Read 10835 times)

Offline voidSkipper

• View Profile

Re: RPG Case Study

Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 08:31:57 am
The new death animation is vastly improved, but I do agree that it looks somewhat hollow.

I don't think you need to introduce another colour if you which to remedy this - you are simply still losing volume. You have the membrane burst down, but during this the internal fluid should hold its form briefly before gushing outwards - the way your puddle forms makes it appear as if it is simply the membrane coming to rest on the ground.

Offline seanz5

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 03:04:56 pm
Two crits:

The knocked back one kind of looks like to me like an evasive jump.  Sort of like its jumping back to dodge an incoming attack.  Not sure if I would see it differently if I saw the main character attacking it.  Perhaps less of a jump and more of it getting knocked back on the ground?  Not sure.

The other crit is with the death animation, I agree it looks much better the 2nd time around but I feel it does look a little watery to me, I think if you had it explode in bigger chunks it might look better, think jello.

Here after searching I found you some reference,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx2Bjedq7U8&feature=related

SeanZ

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 03:52:17 pm
Ah! That should be very helpful, seanz5! I appreciate it.

As for the 'jumping back' problem, I noticed it too, but I'm not sure how exactly to remedy it. I guess knowing is half the battle, though, so that's a step in the right direct, at least. Thanks for the crits.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 05:02:47 pm
While I work out the kinks in the quivering blob, here's something else: my first attempt at something humanoid!

This is the Sin version of a Troll. They find prey by echolocation (much like a bat) and then grapple it with their tentacles, which secrete a paralyzing agent. Once it stops moving, the creature gets carried up... and then dropped into the maw located where the head and neck should be.

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 05:36:18 pm
That's awesome! Reminds me of a monster like that in one of those pikmin games :P

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 06:01:33 pm
Thanks! Hah.

Messing around the with the featureless feet, because they bothered me....

Also added the troll to the original post.

UPDATE: Began work an a secondary idle animation (something I'll do to the blob as well to make the 'breathing' less frequent). Also updated the colors.

Trying to get started on the animation... currently I'm doing it bit by bit, starting with the 'head'.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 09:39:35 pm by Olothontor »

Offline voidSkipper

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 11:22:39 pm
As for the 'jumping back' problem, I noticed it too, but I'm not sure how exactly to remedy it.

It appears to be jumping backward because the motion depicted would only be possible by the creature's own volition. The angle of motion is up-and-back, but the jelly has a very low center of gravity. For it to be knocked back in that direction, it would have to be hit from below (read: punted by a boot or a golf club or something). However, if such an impact occurred, the bottom right of the jelly would be indented by the trauma prior to the movement - in your animation, the top half moves first.

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 11:27:47 pm
Alright. I will fix the idle animation, the knockback, and the death ASAP.

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 05:39:44 pm
I haven't had a ton of time on my hands, but I did find the time today to figure out the death animation. Hope it's a bit less like a hollow balloon now.

EDIT: Added a fix to the knockback. I'm still unsure about this, I'll have to see what it looks like in the context of actually being hit by an attack. I'll also work on an alternate sequence for when it simply gets hit (an attack that doesn't cause knockback).

« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 06:51:09 pm by Olothontor »

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 12:56:07 am
Been quite busy lately, sorry guys.

Just a tiny bit of progress here, I started work on one of the varieties of Ent.

As always, critique is encouraged and welcomed.

UPDATE: Fixed the eyes (they're just sockets now) and worked on defining the limbs a bit better. I know the hands are two different styles so far, but I just wanted to throw each out there before bed and make a definite decision in the morning.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 01:46:48 am by Olothontor »