AuthorTopic: Sessy Lady...  (Read 11661 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Sessy Lady...

Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 02:01:26 am
that new one is a girl? gee. I wouldnt have guessed from looking at it. I think this one's head looks a little too deep in her shoulders, maybe you should use a heavy outline at her chin to separate it

personally I think the new one only matches the old one's style at the pants (which by the way look awesome) if anything, and that's because pants drapery is something that you hadnt done yet. the new one visually (IDK about the pallete) it's like you only have one ramp in this one...wich makes it all harder to figure out. specially the skintones are way less contrasted, if you want to add highlights to this one to emphasize the musculature, then do it by using brighter skintones than those the older sprite has, but dont lower the general contrast of the skintones.

I dont know why the new one's torso is so confusing, you used very well those flat shadowed areas in the old one to create a clear sense of depth, but that isnt present at all in the new one's torso

cant stop editing.

eh, as I have said you should keep the general contrast stable troughout characters, so that they look the same style.But you can have some more fun with the hue values of the specifical shades, I think that's half the fun of doing a set of sprites.
feh. I ended up making an edit

just rough ideas, I think the blue looks nice on her, IDK if you should actually use anything in here, it's all just rough visualizations of some ideas I had.

ooh,  I just noticed the arab girl sprite had some red and green ornaments, they are getting completly lost, I think you should try saturating them and removing those white highlights them so their colors stick out.....just an idea.

oh..btw Wayuki, I just realized I might've come off as offensive, but please dont take it that way, yours is a perfectly good way of shading, and I like the way it makes every texture so clear in your art, but I think this guy should really do stuff his own way.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 02:55:14 am by Camus »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 02:20:11 am
I think the Cell-shaded look is freakin' great, but, as Camus said, the new one doesn't have much of that on the skin. I, too, mistook the new one for a dude before I read your post. Really, Camus pointed out most of the things, like the lack of differentiation in colors between the clothing and skin. If you combined the pant-cloth of the new one (which I really like) with the cell shadedness of the old one (which I also really like) then that would be a great, great sprite.
On your new sprite, is there a difference between the two darkest colors? 'Cause if there is I can't tell.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 02:46:54 am
On your new sprite, is there a difference between the two darkest colors? 'Cause if there is I can't tell.

Actually, the Darkest color in the pallete is just the pure black that is used in the outline of all the characters. Thought it wouldn't be right to post just the sprite's colors without the outline color also.

And to Camus, I know the second FEMALE( Once again, let me remind everyone, I really suck at making female sprites. Plus the second character is supposed to be some type of female, ryu-ish tom-boy so it kind of makes sense for the boyish look. But its still no excuse to cover her manly type anatomical issues.) doesn't look as great as the egyptian sprite. I just wanted to know if they matched or not. Sorry, if I confused anyone.
   And yeah, I meant to use a low color count on both the characters. I'm trying to learn to use a minimum amount of colors by effectly using them in skin tones, and clothes also. Obviously I'm still failing at it, but I'll keep trying in the future. Oh, I almost forgot, I must be an idiot or something, but I got really confused when you were explaining to me which sprites were which. I didn't know if you meant the "old one" as the original egyptian sprite, or the edited egyptian sprite when compared to the Tom-boy sprite on the right, or the Tom boy...eh, never mind, I got a head ache.
   Any ways, thanks for the input everybody, I'll try to fix them up for me'self to look at. I don't wanna keep filling this post up with garbage full of my edits. Save you guys the hassle, and breath. Thanks again!...
my back hurts...

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 02:51:59 am
by old one I meant the original egyptian (I called her arab :p) gal, new one is tomboy gal

I just noticed some more things on egyptian gal, I think her right leg is shorter than the other, and so is her left leg...too bad, I think to fix that and keep the flow of the curves the sprite has you wouldnt just have to make the short limbs longer, you would have to reposition everything a little bit.

I just edited the previous post to make it a little more clear.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 02:55:43 am by Camus »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #14 on: April 09, 2006, 03:13:00 am
The biggest problem I have with the second one is that the pants don't follow the leg at all, not even considering a loose, crumbled fabric flowing over them. You should have a clear idea where the legs are underneath the fabric. I'm not sure you do right now.

Also whereas I appreciate what you're trying to do with the colour selection, something so limited will only work when your pixel techniques are up to it all-around. Right now there's a lot of broken outlines, jaggies and noisy texturing that seems to suggest volume where there isn't. You need to make it simpler before you can make it more complex, I think. This is the case where my most solid advice would be to start over, from a very clean anatomical study which you should show for corrections, then a basic light study which will lead to a strong sense of volume. The pixelling is the last step. You're covering up errors with information here, but the errors still show.

The first one is very much on a better stage, but still if you were to deduct the pure anatomical figure from it, it also suffers, especially on the legs, the back leg most of the two. Your anatomical problem with women isn't so much of inaprorpiate lengths and widths, it is, I deduct of finesse and variations of such where they're needed.

As I said in the other anatomy edit I did in another thread, I'm no master, but hopefully this will help a bit.

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: April 09, 2006, 04:42:45 am
   Well alright, alright, alright. Thats a will do, cappin'. I guess it's a start from scratch for me now. Thanks for info, and also, the anatomical figure really helped me understand the issue with it, technically. I finally get what you guys were talking about with the shoulders. Also, I do understand the whole drapery of clothes on the limbs, and how they should be visually seen (especially seeing it as how the wind is blowing the belt, and that would also make one presume that her pants would also be blown in that direction, giving more of a visual of the leg it covers).
   Come to think of it, I really was just wanting to know about the egyptian gal's(or arabs, thanks Camus) probs not really the other, since she was just there for a side by side example of style. But I guess I got some extra help today on that certain little lady. Thanks err'body. I'll try working on them another day. Thanks for everybody's info!
my back hurts...

Offline Wayuki

• View Profile
    • Wayuki's Place

Reply #16 on: April 09, 2006, 12:28:46 pm
I don't think the Egyptian gal has any problems with her anatomy, though.  :D
She looks very feminine, because:

- Her pose is very feminine and elegant.
- Her anatomy is obviously female, and not just by the breasts. She has a small waist, wide hips, large thighs and her legs are very curvy without too much muscle definition.
- Her outfit is very feminine.

The other gal doesn't read as female because:

- Her pose would work just as well for a guy as for a female.
- Her outfit would work just as well for a guy as for a female.
- Her female anatomy is obscured by her pose and her clothes.
- Her ribcage, shoulders and arms are really large and defined for a female.

I think you can make the second girl look more feminine by slimming down her arms and torso a lot and taking out some of the muscle definition. Instead, you can subtly define the deltoid by curving the outline, to indicate that she isn't a wimp.

If you make her less hunched, that would be a bit more elegant as well. And, you'll have more room to draw some cute wisps of hair, which could also help to make her look feminine.

Aside from that, the pants are really bulky. Because of that, you can't really tell if she has a large waist to hip ratio, which is obviously an important female trait. Also, the folds you have in the pants almost make it look like muscle definition, so they look like a male bodybuilder's legs at first glance. Also, her feet are really big and unelegant, which reinforces the male bodybuilder look.

If you lower the pants, you can show that she has a large waist to hip ratio, despite the bulkiness of of the pants. Still, I would slim the pants down as well. Also, I would try to give her smaller feet in an elegant pose.

I also made a sketch, hope it helps:

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: April 09, 2006, 01:27:59 pm
Personally i like the sprite you have at the moment of the second girl, but anatomically she is a teenage boy (male body structure with narrow hips and broad abs,shoulders, but still not enough meat on himer to be considered an adult.  None of that really seems to be a problem to me though, i think the trouble comes from what appears to be a very tiny head (perhaps just a lack of neck?)

One thing to consider in feming her up may be adjusting her clothes to fit her personality.  Right now her pants are heavy, like anchors, but stiff enough not to hug the form of the legs.  typically clothes on feminine characters do better when they are lightweight and blown out (imagine there is a giant fan in the center of her body and all the clothes and hair are being gently blown outwards by it).  If that ends up looking silly, try finding a more gracefull look by drawing the character on paper with a single stroke.  Once you have captured the essence of the pose, quickly drawing the rest of the figure around that single motion will become much easier (if youve ever done gesture drawings, you already know this technique for finding motion).

id do sketches to demonstrate but my scanner wont turn on :S
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: April 09, 2006, 03:53:40 pm
Consider this the final edit, and I'm done with these "biLtches"...This is the last edit because I initially just wanted some help with the Arab lady, but got more crits over the sample character. Really didn't mean that to happen. I just thought that the forum gods out there might be thinking the switching of the characters might be off topic from the orginal arab. Just don't wanna piss the wrong people off, thats off.
   And by the way, the sample character was supposed to sorta emulate a dude. She's a tom-boy, so she might have some dude characteristics. For other proof on these types of characters, just look at "Makoto" from Street Fighter III: third strike. Thousands of folks thought she was a dude, including me, until they saw her dizzy pose( because her bra showed during the pose). But I guess its what the peepo want, so here she blows. the new version is on the far left with the older one on the right. The bottom rows are just in black outlines.

new--><--old

*I elongated the leg, gave some form into the left leg to show it through the gi, straightened her upright so her neck is more visible, rolled her pants down, so her hips are more visible( pervs'  ;D), gave her more tiny, feminite feet, enlarged the head just a smidge, slimed her shoulders down, gave her skin a more cell shaded look as everyone asked, and gave her two extra human tone colors, as shown in the pallette.

Phew! Consider me a steak fellas, cuz I'm done...well done. Just kidding. It still gots probs, but I can't afford to play with her any longer. Thanks again everybody for the helpful crits. Really enjoyed them!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 12:05:23 pm by The B.O.B. »
my back hurts...

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #19 on: April 09, 2006, 07:01:24 pm
I still think it's a guy, it doesn't quite have a femine look.
The breast just kind of fades into the body.