AuthorTopic: Sprites made in Photoshop issue  (Read 4520 times)

Offline seanz5

• View Profile

Sprites made in Photoshop issue

on: August 15, 2010, 12:12:49 am
So I have started making all of my sprites in Photoshop just because that is all I know.  I use the pencil tool to paint and the pencil eraser to erase.  My issue I have as of lately is that whenevery I fill with the paintbucket on a marqueed area I get aliased fuzzy borders around the perimeter of the sprite, which is very annoying.  My question is, is there a way in photoshop to use the paintfill option without getting aliased edges on a marqueed area?

Or is this question pretty much invalid and I should be using a better program to make sprites?

Thanks

SeanZ

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Re: Sprites made in Photoshop issue

Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 12:36:13 am

Un-check the box in the properties panel thats marked anti-alias. Each selection tool saves their own set of options so if you use more than one selection type you will need to un-check the box for each one.

You should at least try a few different programs: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=3467.0

Photoshop is an awesome program. But I prefer Graphics Gale for pixel work. Play around and figure out what you like. :)
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 01:06:06 am
So I have started making all of my sprites in Photoshop just because that is all I know.  I use the pencil tool to paint and the pencil eraser to erase.  My issue I have as of lately is that whenevery I fill with the paintbucket on a marqueed area I get aliased fuzzy borders around the perimeter of the sprite, which is very annoying.  My question is, is there a way in photoshop to use the paintfill option without getting aliased edges on a marqueed area?

Or is this question pretty much invalid and I should be using a better program to make sprites?

If you are using marquee a lot, I must recommend Grafx2 (http://code.google.com/p/grafx2/) as the 'contour fill' tool is infinitely more friendly and fast to use for most pixel-art usages than marquee+fill.
Otherwise, what PixelPiled said.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline seanz5

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 05:07:16 am
Thanks for the quick responses, the problem is that I have aliasing turned off,

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

See what I mean its just weird and annoying..........  I will check out those programs too.  May I ask what you guys use to test animations in too?  I just pull my sprites right from photoshop to flash to sort of test there but theres got to be an easier program.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 06:02:08 am
Ran a couple tests and it seems that if you have anti-alias un-checked for the paint bucket, but checked for the selection tool you will get anti-alias like you have pictured. however the opposite is not true. If you have AA for the bucket checked, but AA for the selection tool unchecked you will not get AA.  Every tool has their own set of properties. The picture you have posted is only showing the properties for the paint bucket tool. Each tool you select will replace the properties bar with its own set of properties so try unchecking AA for all of the selection tools as well.

This is what i'm experiencing in cs3 and it looks like you have cs4 so it might not be the same. hope that works for you.

As far as animation I'd have to say graphics gale again. It lets you view your animation in the preview window continuously instead of having to export or press play. This is the ideal setup for me. It updates instantly as you draw so its easy and fun to clean and change your animation. It'll also let you import multiple images or a strip if you really want to build your art in another program. It can chug a little when copy pasting huge images tho.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 07:13:02 pm
Also disable anti-alias on the selection tool.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 06:31:27 am
Ya, paint bucket and selection are 2 different, independently working tools.
Selections can be anti aliased as well as bucket fills (that usually happen automatically).

Make sure to switch anti alias off for everything you use.
You'd probably be better off with the blend tool than with the bucket tool anyway since you don't really need a bucket fill if you have something selected, you just want to slap a solid color over it and the magic wand is a more than capable replacement for that paint bucket.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 06:33:08 am by 9_6 »
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 09:10:06 am
Ya, paint bucket and selection are 2 different, independently working tools.
Selections can be anti aliased as well as bucket fills (that usually happen automatically).

Make sure to switch anti alias off for everything you use.
You'd probably be better off with the blend tool than with the bucket tool anyway since you don't really need a bucket fill if you have something selected, you just want to slap a solid color over it and the magic wand is a more than capable replacement for that paint bucket.
eh, isn't Photoshop like GIMP in that you can DnD a color (FG/BG) onto the image to fill the selection with that color?
In GIMP, even though there's a menu item for those things, I generally just DnD cause it's easy to remember and perform.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Organ_House

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 09:42:00 am
Save yourself a few seconds.

After you make your selection (with AA turned off) hit shift+f5 to auto-fill the selection.

Offline me4omil

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 10:42:42 am
I am new to pixel art, but I also use Photoshop for my experiments. In Photoshop CS4 there is an option to animate layers,  under the menu Window ->Animation! See if that is of any help to you.  ;D