AuthorTopic: [game] Bilou : Apple Assault  (Read 3939 times)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

[game] Bilou : Apple Assault

on: August 14, 2010, 08:04:19 am
Hello dudes. I'm happy to announce the release of my first "real" DS game: Apple Assault, that is available for download on my blog.

Bilou and Bouli have crashed on a strange planet. While Bouli is repairing the Astrocruiser's repellor shield, Bilou (the blue ball) has to keep hordes of crazy applemen away ! The game feature the four fields surrounding the cruiser that you must clean up so that Bouli can finish his job and provide you a safe retreat for further exploration. Stun the applemen by stomping them (A). That will provide you more punch power to dispatch the assaulters further away (B).
In each assault wave, the applemen will come back with reinforcement. How long will you stand ?

Please note that this is a homebrew game featuring Noda's EFS and DLDI. Make sure your linker or emulator is compatible with those technologies.
Any similarities with any character (dead or alive) is pure coincidence.

gameplay tips

- you can build up your punch power faster if you press (A) again when bouncing on applemen
- yellow worms can't be dispatched, but they can "help" Bilou building punch power while staying at safe distance from apples
- once you've gathered enough power (stars will start appearing on your punch bar), you'll shoot a devastating shuriken instead of merely punching.
- the more bounces you chain without touching the ground, the more you'll score.
- check out the gameplay teaser video if you still can't beat level 2.
- do not press start, unless you want to enter debugging mode (which you leave with L+START but remains dormant). If you want to pause the game, just close the lid.

btw the game engine is versatile, although still under development. I'd love to give some of the mockups around some life with it (Arachne  :-* ) ... but most of all, now that I've filled my coding duties, I can resume pixelation for the next area : the school zone. Stay tuned.

Thank you all for your help in making it looking fine, despite I haven't been able to follow half your advice half as well as they deserved.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 08:58:42 am by PypeBros »

Offline Sleepless

• View Profile

Re: [game] Bilou : Apple Assault

Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 08:20:11 pm
I'm glad you reached your objective! ;D will your engine be realeased also? I am goin g to play this, as I have already downloaded it! Nice job, and I hope you still hang around the forums to help people and make new pixel art!
You know what would make life easier? Real-life CTRL+Z

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 08:46:15 pm
The engine itself, as well as the additional modules specific to this game (gravity control, objects shooting, etc.) are open-source under the term of the LGPL, and placed under CVS control so that anyone can check out. The behaviour script for the characters are available as well, under creative common "credit the author", as an example of how to use the engine. Don't hesitate to contact me if you need help in how to use them (assuming you're somehow familiar with compiling programs for the nintendo DS with devkitpro).

I plan to release a generic "runner" for a DIY-game once my level editor for the nintendo DS has left its experimental status.

Offline Sleepless

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 12:17:21 am
A DIY game would be cool! Anyway nice work! I'm about to play it, after hours of procrastination.  :lol:
You know what would make life easier? Real-life CTRL+Z

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 08:55:40 am
;D will your engine be realeased also? I am goin g to play this, as I have already downloaded it!

Fichtre! How impardonnable I am!
Here is a nice source + tutor package I released as a Christmas gift to the world.

Nice job, and I hope you still hang around the forums to help people and make new pixel art!
Depends on pressure at work & home, but I love this place, so I'll sure never be gone for a long time.