AuthorTopic: Steam-powered combat robotcrab  (Read 7272 times)

Offline Arghus

• Murr, the digger.
    • View Profile

Steam-powered combat robotcrab

on: August 11, 2010, 07:27:42 pm
Another steam-powered enemy for the game 'Gerst'.
They game will probably be displayed in x2 size.
Comments and criticism are very much appreciated.
EDIT: Some small tweeks to increase readability of the legs. Also added another background and put a simple shadow under him.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 04:48:51 pm by Arghus »

Offline VDX

• View Profile

Re: Steam-powered combat robotcrab

Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 08:39:39 pm
Somehow, he still looks like he's rather flat.
Add shadow under him to help "elevate" him?

Offline fyewit

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 02:23:51 am
perhaps try another background colour.  Its hard to distinguish between it and thhe the legs.  are the legs supposed to be similar to a mechanical crane arm or something?

the body looks pretty cool though.  The legs just a bit busy maybe, but i cant tell if they are solid pieces or bits of metal made up of lots of different .

Offline Arghus

• Murr, the digger.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 04:51:21 pm
Thanks for the advice, guys!
I think it helped quite a bit, I added the edit in the main post.

Offline Sleepless

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 05:46:25 pm
I think the colors could use just a LITTLE bit more contrast. It's already aa wonderful piece
You know what would make life easier? Real-life CTRL+Z

Offline mrblu

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 07:30:05 pm
You may want to lift the body a little from where the bottom of the inside of his legs.  Something steam-powered like that would most likely be lifted up.

Ooh, Did you ever see Toy Story?

Or Wild Wild West?

Offline Arghus

• Murr, the digger.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 08:03:45 pm
Aye, you're probably right about that, he's pretty low to the ground as he is.

And, indeed.. I've seen Wild West. That awesome steam spider was a huge inspiration, which made me love steam-powered machines!

Offline VDX

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 08:12:49 pm
Try watching the animated movie "Steam boy" for more inspiration, trust me you'll love it.

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 08:18:34 pm
Try watching the animated movie "Steam boy" for more inspiration, trust me you'll love it.

It would suit you well, yes indeed. Not only is it a great movie, with a great plot.. the visuals and the steampunky mechanics of it are beautifully done. It should serve as an awesome jumping off point.

That was kind of a pointless post, I saw "Steam Boy" and memories came flooding back. Sorry! Let's see if I can't save this post...

To be honest, there are other ways to achieve that sort of "gravelly" affect. The legs, I think, are perfect, since there's not nearly as much granulation. The body however is vaguely reminiscent of orange brick, which I don't think is quite the texture you were going for.  :P

The gun appears to ever so slightly out of proportion. The sizing and shape of it are just a little bit off. Unfortunately I don't really have an eye for those sorts of things, so I couldn't begin to tell you how to go about fixing it, but sometimes just knowing something's wrong helps.

Hope I didn't burst your bubble or anything! Look forward to further updates from you in this regard.

"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa

Offline zez

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 05:30:55 am
The gun appears to be angled up, towards the viewer, well the rest of the body is pointing slightly down. If he ISNT shooting directly at the camera in the game, but is instead shooting something below him (on the ground...) thats pretty wrong.
you could try lowering the top barrels (lowering on the y, not the z) and raising the bottom (once again, y not z). Its a little tricky, because really you shouldnt see the bottom barrels at all from that angle, but I really like the Gatling gun/six shooter feel it has going when you do, so maybe just find a way to fudge the perspective a little bit towards correct?
That, or just angle the chimney back a bit, I think then it would look more like he was leaning backwards and the gun would be facing in aprox. the right direction, although that might be a whole can of worms.