AuthorTopic: 16x16 RPG Characters - First Try  (Read 8128 times)

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

16x16 RPG Characters - First Try

on: August 11, 2010, 05:37:21 pm
I've just recently started up a project with a few programmers and a couple of interested visionaries. My original concept was more Nethack styled, as you'll see from the @-like tokens for each of the classes... however my programmers have been giving me friendly pokes to at least try out actual characters, something I had never done before. The characters above 16 px. in height are fine that way; the layering system we'll be using will allow for many varied character heights.

My first attempts are... interesting. Interesting in a horrible way. I'd love to have help from you guys, since I've come here before and received loads of good advice.

Ignore the tiles for the most part, I'm still in the process of downsizing them from 24x24 to 16x16 for a more optimal "rendering" process.

Alright, get ready to cringe...

EDIT: Updated with pointless ghosts and height example templates.

EDIT II: Added an experimental logo, and a few more character sprites.

EDIT III: Improved logo, added additional character sprites, changed skin tones to make each race more distinct, and started getting a feel for armor bulk.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 03:13:51 am by Olothontor »
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Re: 16x16 RPG Characters - First Try

Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 04:44:32 am
Don't be so harsh on yourself.

I would recommend staying at 16x16 without having to break the border, your characters will look better that way. It's also good practice, since that's really where you learn pixels, because you have to make a readable image when you're cramped. I would say, try to go to make sure it reads as what it is, don't need to spend your time making sure every detail works, because you really don't have room. Also try to keep perspective in mind, think about from what position the person is viewing these guys, and keep that in mind. From what I can tell, it looks like I'm supposed to be looking at them above from about a 45 degree angle, if that's true, then the heads should appear a little larger and little detail given to the bodies. I find that making 16x16 characters looks best when most pixels are given to arms and heads, and less for torsos and legs.

The bigger problem is with your colors. They're very bland and boring. What they need is contrast, that means that each color has to be very different from one another. You don't have to choose colors that just in one attribute, or hue. For example, if something is supposed to be red, you can make the highlights yellow, and the shadows purple. You need very few colors to make a detailed sprite at this size, so, if I were you, I think you should try to limit your colors for each guy at 6 colors (including transparency) or less.

I hope that helps you.

Offline VDX

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 04:56:36 am
I'm just here to say.
You have a wonderful tile system already for doing all of those.

So encouraging words from me. :)

Can't wait till I see more from here, as this really looks like a great start already.

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 12:24:13 pm
Don't be so harsh on yourself.

You'll get used to that from me if you hang around long enough.

The bigger problem is with your colors. They're very bland and boring. What they need is contrast, that means that each color has to be very different from one another. You don't have to choose colors that just in one attribute, or hue. For example, if something is supposed to be red, you can make the highlights yellow, and the shadows purple. You need very few colors to make a detailed sprite at this size, so, if I were you, I think you should try to limit your colors for each guy at 6 colors (including transparency) or less.

Well, for now I'm really focusing on shaping and positioning and etc. And the reason I need to go a bit beyond the 16x16 edge is because there will be giants and large creatures, and while those may take up more tiles, they still will need to be visually larger than their surroundings. I figured as long as this step was being taken, it'd be worthwhile to make each of the races distinct.

Also, I presume you meant I need more contrast both in the background and on the characters.

I appreciate the comments, though, both of you.  ::)

EDIT: I started messing with contrast, because your posted piqued my interest, but I get the impression I'm doing it wrong. I tried it first on all of the armors.

The box within the red circle (with the question marks) is a sample I plucked from the cliffs of the Sol Sanctum entrance in Golden Sun on GBA. I was trying to find examples of contrast. Is this what you meant, more or less?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 01:44:12 pm by Olothontor »

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 12:24:38 am
Yes, that has contrast. Let me show you a simple example. The circle on the left has little contrast, the one on the right has more.

Offline Platypotter

• I'm all revved up!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 02:19:20 am
Uhh that statue, along with the rock/rubble wall thing you circled is from golden sun...  :-\

Offline Shikola

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 02:54:22 am
Uhh that statue, along with the rock/rubble wall thing you circled is from golden sun...  :-\
Those were used in a previous thread as examples for stuff. I remember seeing these.

Offline Platypotter

• I'm all revved up!
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 03:31:04 am
So edit them a bit b4 you put em in a game! :lol:

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 02:00:43 pm
The colors are different and the arms were completely edited (they're outstretched now, instead of from the entrance to the temple where they're down).

I was just playing with color and shape, sorry if it looks sketchy xD

Offline Platypotter

• I'm all revved up!
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 03:17:46 pm
Nah totally cool. Golden sun is just one of the greatest games evar.  :D

But everything looks great. I just had to comment cuz it caught my eye!