AuthorTopic: Introducing myself with my latest work  (Read 8976 times)

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Re: Introducing myself with my latest work

Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 05:11:30 am
I'd say helm's edit gives off my opinion of the sprite. more color = better = hardly true. the less colors you use the more creative you have to be; and it usually shows and makes something look that much more impressive.

As for the original sprite, it's not bad, although the dark outlines of the clothing, and the very light outlines of the doll clash pretty bad. I already mentioned the color count, the hair is quite nice. The outlines on the parts of the boots seem out of place; seeing as hwo there is no outline between clothing parts on any other part of the body. That and one boot looks abit bigger thant he other. but that could just be me. The orangey-brownish shade could use a brighter highlight tone. The AA is quite nice. And thats about all I have to say ^_^ hope at least some of it was meaningful.

Offline Wayuki

• View Profile
    • Wayuki's Place

Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 08:27:22 am
Thanks for the feedback, guys!  :D

I realize that my palettes are a weaker point. I've been increasing the contrast on clothes and hair lately, but I was a bit reluctant to push the skin tones as much, because I was afraid of making it look dirty or not smooth. Now that I look at it though, it does seem mismatched with the rest of the palettes.

Also, I've been studying other people's palettes and sometimes I notice these huge jumps in hue in a single color ramp (a great example of this would be Helm's work). The overall effect looks very realistic, but the actual color choices seem pretty random and confusing to me. I haven't been able to detect a "system" in this yet. Oh well, I'll have to study some more, then.  :)

*waves at hawken* Heya! Nice to see you here! I'm Demon Princess from Polycount!  ;D

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 01:13:47 am
Also, I've been studying other people's palettes and sometimes I notice these huge jumps in hue in a single color ramp (a great example of this would be Helm's work). The overall effect looks very realistic, but the actual color choices seem pretty random and confusing to me. I haven't been able to detect a "system" in this yet. Oh well, I'll have to study some more, then.   :)
Hohoho! Looks, you say. That is exactly the point. Of course when you get down to a technical level and inspect the colors and notice such large jumps in color, things are going to start getting confusing. Every decision has some purpose, but it's 99% aesthetics, the remainder being what is technically realistic.
Anywho, as for the piece itself, I really haven't much to say that hasn't been said. Helm's edit much improves the original in contrast and color managment.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 02:42:47 am
I agree with Xion Night about the contrast, for sure. But there a few weird details in Helm's edit...I can't really find much to point out in the original piece that hasn't been pointed out in Helm's edit really, and the original is still quite good anyway  :)

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 03:42:32 am
Each to his own. Spend more time critiquing the artist than the editor's edit. I'm giving a viable perspective, you provide another. More colour? Show us.

no no, I mean COLOUR!!

on a TV, the original would stand out with the yellows golds and contrast, however your edit took all the colour out and would look kinda grayscale if actually on a console being played through a TV. Although your made serious improvments to the neck and legs which the author would be wise to pick up on  ;) I'm not talking about palette reduction etc setz.

I don't mean to pick a bone with you helm but this is a forum... I had no intention of criting the artist but only your edit.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 03:47:50 am by hawken »
twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!

Offline Wayuki

• View Profile
    • Wayuki's Place

Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 08:06:08 am
Yes, I intend to edit it next weekend. I won't have time to do it until then, because my sister is staying with me this week.  ;)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 03:33:48 pm
I hear you on the critique of an edit, hawken. Although I don't think it's very useful to the artist, it's useful to me. I know that I overmanage my palettes and the result it has, but I have a specific aesthetic I work within and oversaturated colours aren't part of it, really. The TV argument is um, irrelevant to me because I don't run my pixel art through TVs, and don't know why I should. My pixel art is made on a calibrated hires computer monitor and that's what it is supposed to be viewed in.

Sorry for this side-argument in your thread Wayuki. We're done now, hopefully.

Offline Wayuki

• View Profile
    • Wayuki's Place

Reply #17 on: April 07, 2006, 09:14:04 am
I made a new version! It's down to 32 colors including transparency.   :D

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation