AuthorTopic: Introducing myself with my latest work  (Read 8928 times)

Offline Wayuki

• View Profile
    • Wayuki's Place

Introducing myself with my latest work

on: April 03, 2006, 05:26:42 pm
Heya everyone! I'm new here, obviously.  :D

Without much further ado, here's my latest pixel art:

For the record... yes, this is a "doll". However, this was completely pixeled from scratch by me, including the base body, which you can find at my site. So meh to all the doll haters out there.  :-\

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Re: Introducing myself with my latest work

Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 06:51:43 pm
Good work :)

I like the design and the colours, but the Skin colour i not like very much, i think you need change this.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 07:33:34 pm
Most of the doll work I've seen is meticulously textured and smoothed, but where fabric and skin meet, outlines, all that, they're never AAed. This one doesn't suffer from this too much but meet points are still a bit too hard, in my opinion.

Furthermore, the colour elements are all very neatly in their own rows, which is I guess a byproduct of a doll's usage for remapping of clothes to different colours and the like, but I feel a pixel art piece that is it's own art, not just something that can be something else if the need arises (as dolls are) should have it's own hand-crafted, single-ramp palette where every colour is there because it needs to be there and it serves multiple purposes in different parts of the picture. But that may be just me so take lightly.

Generally, the colour ramps are uninspiring. The skin row most of all. I'm not going to suggest cutting down on the number of colours used because doll work is doll work and you seem to know enough about pixel art to have made a choice about number of colours/smoothness choices. You should know you're wasting a lot of flesh shades, though. They're not noticable on 1x or 2x zoom... What I would suggest is working on interesting tinting of shades, giving direction and variation to the uninified ramps.

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 08:38:42 pm
Welcome to Pixelopolis and enjoy your stay.

Your work reminds me of Final Fantasy renderings. Humm..
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 10:06:52 pm

edit. As usual I say a lot of words and then I read them and understand they don't really portray what I'm trying to say so I have to act upon them. My edit takes your 50-colour image down to 22 colours or so, hopefully with no loss on information or detail, and with a unified palette. There's also extensive reworkings on the detail level you might want to take a look at. Make of this what you will.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 10:09:26 pm by Helm »

Offline cdi

• -= well now... =-
    • View Profile
    • Omnimaga

Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 10:46:34 pm
There are a few weird things though, her "shirt" looks too metalic, she had weird blobs on her cheek and sholder... where her hair meets is a grey blob. and it looks... too pastel
BASIC flames are for n00bs... you don't want to be a n00b do you?
Welcome Home

Offline reydragk

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 12:47:20 am
I'd like to start by saying that I love those boots <3

As far as crits--definitely too many skin colors, I can't see the difference between most of them unless I zoom waaaaaaay in.  Either increase the contrast or just boot some of the in-between colors.

@Helm:  awesome as always, but there're some weird things going on with that edit--the grey on the shiny skin spots doesn't fit well, and the block of dark blue in the hair doesn't fit either...

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 01:39:36 am
Welcome Wayuki! (Heheh. I must welcome people.)

Your piece is very nice, i love the hair and fashion design. The face is also nicely done, gives a sort of pretty but not too emotional expression.

But yuss, i completely agree with the fact that the skin doesn't look right and quite alot of the hues waste colour countage.
Perhaps Helm's edit was slightly exaggerated, but i think it shows what can be done with less colours. The clothes and skin have much more depth. I wouldn't have the skin that yellow in hue, but i would lessen the pinkyness of it all perhaps.

I've noticed the strange lightness of the skin could be done to add a more plastically feel to the doll, but i'd avoid that personally if that was the case.

Sorry for all the pointlessly odd words in my post. I'm in a verreh strange muud.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 01:54:18 am by Larwick »

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 03:37:56 am

edit. As usual I say a lot of words and then I read them and understand they don't really portray what I'm trying to say so I have to act upon them. My edit takes your 50-colour image down to 22 colours or so, hopefully with no loss on information or detail, and with a unified palette. There's also extensive reworkings on the detail level you might want to take a look at. Make of this what you will.

dunno your one looks kind of washed out now, more colour!!
twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 03:42:19 am
Each to his own. Spend more time critiquing the artist than the editor's edit. I'm giving a viable perspective, you provide another. More colour? Show us.