AuthorTopic: Harakiri Pixel Art (WIP)  (Read 5545 times)

Offline Kaito

• View Profile

Harakiri Pixel Art (WIP)

on: August 05, 2010, 07:28:44 pm
hello i make this icon to train my pixel art skills.. please help me to finish it

First

Upadate

Update 2 (i change the arms in the first update but i think the first arms i made are better)

U can Edit it if u want cause im too newbie
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 11:55:58 pm by Kaito »

Offline VDX

• View Profile

Re: Harakiri Pixel Art (WIP)

Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 09:36:56 pm
Try to add some more pose for the arms.

And isn't the Harakiri also using smaller daggers for it?

Offline Afr0Blu3

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 09:45:12 pm
It doesn't look like he's holding the sword. Try rehaping and reshading the hands so it looks like the character is actually gripping it. Definately reposition the thumb. Maybe it's just me, but the legs seem a little short. On the head, the ears should be further forward and there should be hair on the back of the head. The ears are about three quarters back ona side view of the human head, with the round back of the head being further back and attaching to the neck. I also don't understand why the character is leaning forward and it seems as though he's going to topple forward.

It's a decent start though

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 10:15:50 pm
pose feels kinda stiff, since the spine is straight and the arms are extended straight ahead. i'd re-examine the jawline, it shouldn't reach around to the  back of the head (getting the jawline down will help with ear placement as well). seems to be lacking a chin, and the nose is too high and not pronounced enough. instead of drawing the general shape of the arms, think of the muscles that compose it (biceps, triceps, deltoids, etc). chest should slop back in toward the neck. feet would probably look better if the tops/sides where sitting flat against the ground, sit in the position yourself and notice how your body is situated. try to hold something as long as that sword away from you, and notice how much your body must contort to accommodate. here is a reference image i found, may be useful for the upper body.

Offline VDX

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 10:35:55 pm
Something like this pose.

I'm pretty certain they used a small dagger of longer origin when performing harakiri in the more ancient times.
Also added a "shameful" look on the person doing it, bending his head forward to show that he is in shame.
The arms are different gives a better impression of it looking better rather then stiffness.
And you shouldn't stand up like that since it looks to more of a threatening rather then an honourful end to ones life.

Offline Kaito

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 10:58:55 pm
But I think some religions have different perspective about hara-kiri

chinsese, japanese, indian . etc.

anyway im going o fix it

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 11:04:01 pm
those things aren't religions, they're countries/cultures. and harakiri (seppuku) is a distinctly japanese ritual associated with samurai.

kinda off-topic, but a better understanding of the subject depicted would probably help the direction of the image,
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 11:07:36 pm by Cure »

Offline Kaito

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 11:45:39 pm
sorry for "Religions" my english isnt good....
but indian have a ritual like harakiri too...

ok stop fighting xD...

here is an update

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 12:36:37 am
I see you didn't take into account what other people reccommended and just shortened his head. It's an improvement, but not so much as to change the pose altogether. I also note the figure isn't in proportion, and his arms are almost as long as his legs. His hands look like mittens and he seems to be leaning forwards too much, as if handing the sword to another person.

And why is the lineart red in some places and gray in others?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 12:39:30 am by pistachio »

Offline Kaito

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 12:51:52 am
sorry dude i dont speak english very well i cant understand somethings... im learning