AuthorTopic: 48x48 Pixel Art video + RTP face video  (Read 16623 times)

Offline Singularity

• View Profile

Re: 48x48 Pixel Art video + RTP face video

Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 05:04:59 pm

Wow, that's nice.  :y:
I never thought flesh tones in the eyes would work so well. It seems you can establish the shape better without overpowering the outsides of the iris with bright whites, nor extending the entire pallet just for the subtle grays.

Video #2 posted on August 10th, 2010:

Posted another video I made. I need critique on this one as well, thanks a lot everyone. Also, I made this before I got all these pointers and edits from all of you, so all you guys helped me with to improve the faces, I will apply it on the 3rd video. I was really tired when making this, and couldn't stop at the time, so I had to cut few small change frames, such as the coloring process in the end... also this explain why I messed up in the oval measure figure /  rough lineart really bad at first... at least I'm glad I saved the piece somehow lmao.

This time around, I prolly should ask the sex of this person first.
I'm going to guess "dude" this time around, on account of the necktie, but hopefully I can focus only on with non-gender issues.  ;)

Awesome start, but the hair kinda confuses me. I see bangs over the right (our left) side of his face but it looks a lot like a single bang unless I look along the bottom edge. Perhaps some additional shadows to split up the one shape might help. Following his bangs up, they seem to disappear over his head as if that hair is coming from the top of his head instead of the front of his hair line. You can work in a small arc to improve readability.
For how thick the hair is on our left, the shadow seem strong enough to start unbalancing the image. I'm a bit of a fan of tousled hair, but if you don't like the small sections of highlights everywhere, you might instead consider shifting the light source slightly higher. A top/down shadow effect would help keep the values a little more symmetrical.

Other than the hair, everything else I tried out seems petty, but I might as well list it.
I tried moving the hair slightly further over his eye to reduce tension of where it is, as well as starting the suggestion of an eyebrow at the edge.
Also, I moved the mouth up a bit and tried to make it more prominent, by adding in the darkest flesh tone.

...I haven't even touched the neck (or clothes) yet, but I think the neck will eventually need a shadow to set it under and backwards in space.
In any case, I can't wait to see what you do with it. Good luck!  ;D

« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 06:16:55 pm by Singularity »

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 08:26:33 am
@ Eyecraft = I'm loving the edit. I will keep your advice... it is going to take me a little bit to do so, as I gather references and information on the web regarding anatomy and such. You're right, most of my experience in doing faces, or my art in general has been anime / JRPG based, I have been attempting lately to do things the proper way. Your point motivates this idea further. Thanks.

@ Singularity = Thanks for the critique and the edit, also sorry for the delay man. Sleeping problems on my side (which is why all my updates are done from 12am to 4am haha)... but yeah, I finally got to updating the RTP face:

The comparison of the original...

And the new process sheet:

(It seems that photobucket has done it to me again, resizing the image automatically, which makes it blurry on the process sheet. Either way, you guys can see it as a form of preview, of the changes I applied so far).

One thing that worries me, is that this edit goes a bit too further from the original. I made the character a darker, and applied the same skin color I used on the update of the 1st face. Also, the coloring of the highlights in the hair, I want to find an alternative to that using the same palette... no luck as of right now.

By the way, here's the reference of the character, it's a guy:

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 08:29:10 am by Antifarea »

Offline Singularity

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 05:26:03 pm
I much prefer the new one. The hair and facial structure are by far superior.  :y:
I'm glad you decided to darken the blue color.

I'm not so sure about the checkered shading on the face though...
Kinda makes me think he has freckles.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 08:08:37 pm by Singularity »

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 11:30:07 am
The first guy pretty much resembles 90% to the guy from the RPGMaker 2000...

This is an edit from a game that I remember it from
originally he has cyan hair aswlel..

wish i could find the original though...

Ok i Just watched the vid, makes sense now.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 11:33:42 am by Elk »
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 02:34:34 pm
@ Singularity = Thanks again, love the edit man. I noticed you used a different color for the highlights on the skin, I normally use that yellowish one, but the one you choose works just as great. I agree with you on the checkered part haha, that was supposed to be some small dithering, but as you can see it didn't turn out too well hehe. ::) I have to wait a couple of days before I can create another video since I have some stuff pending for the end of this month, but will have more stuff you can have fun editing. I appreciate it.

@ Elk = The original are the two ones I posted. The ones you posted are edits. First one is edit from the Rm2000 RTP, 2nd from the Mac&blue (japanese pixel artist) version of the RM2000 RTP. I'm surprised you know about the rpgmaker series, since it's really obscure in PJ / PL.

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 08:14:25 pm
Is it ? It's quite frequent to meet people doing sprites for these engines. They're easy to spot since they're all 24*32  :P

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #26 on: August 25, 2010, 12:17:34 am
Is it ? It's quite frequent to meet people doing sprites for these engines. They're easy to spot since they're all 24*32  :P

A lot of pixel artists make characters that size, since it's more of an ideal size for RPGs in overall, just like 16x16 / 32x32... but rarely (I never heard of more than 3 pixel artists and they're all japanese) that has made charasets for rpgmaker 2000/2003. The people who make characters use 32x32 and up resolutions since they all use rpgmaker XP / VX... and that's not to say no more than 10 people in the world do so... the rpgmaker scene in the entire world don't have more than 30 pixel artists, that's counting all the countries in the world... there are no artists (only illustrators and almost all of them either draw touhou or animu stuff hahaha) in the scene sadly.

*off-topic rant haha*

This comes to the oldest estimate I have... and that is that there are no more than 30,000 pixel artists in the entire world. I will never get off the fact that pixel art is one of the rarest forms of art (I say rare, because either people dislike it that much to not bother getting to make any, or they just don't have the guts to do so).