AuthorTopic: 48x48 Pixel Art video + RTP face video  (Read 16483 times)

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

48x48 Pixel Art video + RTP face video

on: August 05, 2010, 06:50:59 am
Video #2 posted on August 10th, 2010:

Posted another video I made. I need critique on this one as well, thanks a lot everyone. Also, I made this before I got all these pointers and edits from all of you, so all you guys helped me with to improve the faces, I will apply it on the 3rd video. I was really tired when making this, and couldn't stop at the time, so I had to cut few small change frames, such as the coloring process in the end... also this explain why I messed up in the oval measure figure /  rough lineart really bad at first... at least I'm glad I saved the piece somehow lmao.

The video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsTSrruzQF8

Finished image:

Process sheet:

Video #1 posted on August 5th, 2010:

I made this couple weeks ago... I was messing around for a little bit, took an hour off and did this video. First video I make of me making pixel art, I want to do more complex well thought stuff in the future, this time around I didn't know what to draw, lol I think it shows in the process. But anyways, I would like to get some comments on the process and all, the final image as well under the links there in the video description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j98kfPcqh8c

Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 05:28:15 am by Antifarea »

Offline sorex

• View Profile

Re: 48x48 Pixel Art video

Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 11:44:51 am
looks great, especially for a 20 minutes job  :y:

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 03:52:46 pm
looks great, especially for a 20 minutes job  :y:

Thanks man. I need some criticism on how I make my sprites, I know that most people have a unique way of making their sprites, so if anyone has any tip or would like me to explain the way I create pixel art, I don't mind sharing the information... as you can see I was out of my mind so you'll notice some line erasing and experimenting with the hair hahaha.

And by the way, don't you love charamaker1999? look how easy it is to grab colors, erase stuff, everything is right there once you set it up haha. That's why I always recommend anyone who wants to cut time off and annoyances with the system to use this program. :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 03:54:20 pm by Antifarea »

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 04:22:00 pm
so do you want crits on the actual pixelwork itself? because it'd be useful to post the final product as an image in this thread. the end result is more important than the process used to reach it anyway, we all work differently.
that being said, i don't think you spend enough time roughing out the forms. you drew an oval at a straight on angle then derived from that the various shapes of the skull and jaw. it would probably  be easier to rough out the cranium/rest of the skull/ and jaw first, rather than starting with an oversimplified shape that bears only a slight resemblance to the underlying forms it's attempting to capture. since you're working off an oval, you don't have the projection of the cheek or brow and the eye on our left projects outward.
also, i've always found it more useful (after the midtone is established) to start with the shadows, THEN do the highlights. and you seem to be pillowshading- you lay down one shade of shadow on the face, then follow that same contour with the next darkest shade (and your highlights follow the contours of the areas they inhabit. mouth is set maybe a pixel too low, and with such in-depth modeling done on the face, you're not going to be able to get away with an anime nose- it just won't mesh.

the lack of a pronounced chin is pretty bothersome- it's a defining characteristic of homo sapiens sapiens, after all.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 04:33:00 pm by Cure »

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 05:47:07 pm
Yeah in that video I went a little bit disorganized when it comes to the process, mainly because I didn't plan it... although I agree with you about doing the shadows first, then the highlights. I start with an oval shape, just to judge how big the face will be in the space, but it's all about the lineart... that has nothing much to do or nothing at all with the picture, only size guidelines. :) Also notice how I am not careful, I don't go dot by dot when making pixel art, I go rough baby and THEN I clean up the lineart, after that I use light coloring, then from them on, I proceed and polish the lineart and add more stuff, and then shading goes, so are highlights... and ultimately I change colors and shade outlines. :) Don't forget this is a 24 minute rushed work, quality faces as far as my skill goes like, one of which is my current avatar of Testament, from the GGXX series. Thanks for the input.

Anyways, now that we're here... here is the finished product:

If anyone can do the edit, that'll be great... it'll only help me further. Thanks in advance.

Oh, and about the process on how I do facesets... here is another old process of Hanch from Drakengard 2... this one took me an hour to make:
So you kinda get a better idea, comments / edits on that appreciated too.

Edit: Updated the face the other day haha...

:D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 04:50:27 am by Antifarea »

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 08:38:05 pm
well size guidelines are fine, but you should map out the understructure a bit. so after drawing the general oval shape, maybe refine it into the orb of the cranium and map the general shape of the jaw. lineart should come a little later. general sizes> general forms> lineart

i'd think about doing a bit more with the mouth, hint at some lips at least, the straight line is a little too simple.

Offline Slade0Hiro

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 01:57:41 am
don't think im the best to give advice but owell lol

looking at it, it looks like the heads at an angle but the face is more trying to be front view, not sure how to word that best,

looking like it should be that angle, the nose looks a little flat and i believe the mouth and lines under the eyes are a bit dark. love the hair though.

not the best.. i know, maybe someone more skilled then me will be able to give you better advice.

Offline Singularity

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 07:01:30 am
Hmm. Yeah, I'm definitely digging the hair too.  :y:
This is great work.
...And I'm also am concerned about the nose... it's bordering on Michael Jackson thin.  ;)
For portraits, I'd almost always agree with Slade0Hiro's objection to the dark lines, but it looks like you're going for an anime style pic, which has a tendency to rely on outlines.

If anyone can do the edit, that'll be great... it'll only help me further. Thanks in advance.

In anime pics the shape of the nose usually stops very low, so I tried cutting out the highlight that was extending up.
I also tried a different color for the edges of the hair. It looked like the highlights were more green and the darker shades faded into blue, and the darkest shade seemed a bit too green to be continuous.

I wasn't really sure how to handle the mouth, because I don't want to change her expression. She looks neutral/serious in yours, and adding a single pixel above or below would completely define her mouth and change the overall emotion. I tried changing the shadow on the left to suggest a small lift, but quite frankly I don't mind the straight mouth. However, I do think you might consider raising it between the nose and chin.

As requested:
->

Hope this helps. ;D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 08:21:30 am by Singularity »

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 07:04:39 pm
looks great, especially for a 20 minutes job  :y:

Thanks man. I need some criticism on how I make my sprites, I know that most people have a unique way of making their sprites, so if anyone has any tip or would like me to explain the way I create pixel art, I don't mind sharing the information... as you can see I was out of my mind so you'll notice some line erasing and experimenting with the hair hahaha.

And by the way, don't you love charamaker1999? look how easy it is to grab colors, erase stuff, everything is right there once you set it up haha. That's why I always recommend anyone who wants to cut time off and annoyances with the system to use this program. :)

Yes I do I especially like how it keeps a record of the changes you have done in the right corner.  But isn't this program in a different language than english?

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 10:27:06 pm
@ Cure = Thanks again for the input.

@ Slade0Hiro = Thanks for the edit and the input. And michael jackson's nose? hahaha you're right.

@ Singularity = Appreciated the edit. I will download the edit. Also, it's supposed to be a male teenager haha, it's what happens when it's a 20+ minutes quick work...

@ Mike = Ohhh no, I keep the record piece by piece on my own, the program doesn't do that on it's own. :) I do it because if I screw up on the next part of the process, I can always grab the one before that and I can continue again from there... it's like as working with layers (since this program doesn't support 'em).

I just uploaded the process sheet so you can see it much better... also note how I keep track of the time, that's how I realized how much I have improved speed-wise. I'm soo ridiculously organized haha you have no idea... and it's all because I need to keep track of how much progress I make as far as experience and speed goes like.

And yes, this program is originally in japanese, then it was translated to english by I don't remember who... some people translated it to spanish and portuguese. This program is well known in the rpgmaker communities, mainly people who use rpgmaker 2000-2003.

I will edit this more, but I won't update the video since I already uploaded it and such... I will show my update in here, then I need further pointers from there... also I'll make him look more like a male haha.