AuthorTopic: Munny study  (Read 3034 times)

Offline theorb77

• View Profile

Munny study

on: August 04, 2010, 07:15:13 pm
So I've been seeing comments about hue shifting and whatnot, and didn't find much in the way of a tutorial on the subject, but I've seen some calculus-like formulations for how some people do it.  I'm a bit lost.  I did this little guy this morning for fun:

The color ramps seem a bit rough, and I resorted to some dithering in spots, but for a couple of hours of work, I'm happy.

EDIT:  Man, I should have looked at those edges.  Back to work!

UPDATE:

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 08:45:08 pm by theorb77 »

Offline Ambient

• Aspiring artist
    • View Profile
    • ambient-art.net

Re: Munny study

Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 08:34:47 pm

Hue shifting generally is one color shifting to blue, and the lightest color being most saturated while the darkest least. I changed your pallet to show this (kept your original dark blue).
Here is a professional example:
Art gives me a joy that nothing else can.

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 10:49:42 pm
From my understanding of the term Hue Shifting, it is the nature of coloring an object within a palette that moves about within the space of the color wheel.  It allows you to achieve a good mood and establish the cool and the warm lighting of the object while not looking like an overexposed neon shirt from the late-80s. What you're doing with the palette on your character hardly looks like you're doing anything aside from changing the brightness of the blue you're coloring him with. The result, tied together with the low contrast of the colors used, looks like a matte plastic toy cut from a one-color mold in a dimly lit room.

By moving through the color wheel to from one spectrum to another while adjusting the level of saturation and darkness as needed, you can achieve results like these:

Hue shifting allowed me to tweak one palette to move from red and purple shadows to teal and green midtones and highlight with yellow; or one from pink highlights to a royal purple and then shadows hiding in the greenish tones; and then another with a blue highlight, sliding through pink into an orange-brown midtone, and cooling off in a really dark blue.

It's all about jumping around the color wheel by ramping through transitional color combinations.

Check this thread for a little more of an idea how some people/programs handle hue shifts in a more technical sense:

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=10010.msg108254#msg108254

Offline theorb77

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 10:59:44 pm
"The result, tied together with the low contrast of the colors used, looks like a matte plastic toy cut from a one-color mold in a dimly lit room."

Ironically, that's exactly what a Munny is (especially this one, as I sit in this dimly lit room):

Thanks for the info on hue shifting.  I'll be looking this over carefully.

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 11:04:24 pm
"The result, tied together with the low contrast of the colors used, looks like a matte plastic toy cut from a one-color mold in a dimly lit room."

Ironically, that's exactly what a Munny is (especially this one, as I sit in this dimly lit room)

Hahaha, well I'm glad I've still got a knack for guessing these things!