AuthorTopic: [WIP] Small Warehouse Map  (Read 9222 times)

Offline Afr0Blu3

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Small Warehouse Map

Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 12:52:13 pm
OK. I darkened the floor and added in the crates and desk. Still not sure on the positioning of the desk. It currently requires 3 tiles to fit to the 16x16 grid because, well, it doesn't fit the grid. It is a 16x16 object but when I placed it taking up two tiles (8 pixels on each tile) it just didn't look right so it now occupies three.

Offline Afr0Blu3

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 12:58:49 pm
No edit button? I edited the desk, it now takes up two tiles

Offline mattam

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 01:02:05 pm
I like the darker floor! but the safety lines look realy choppy (they dont look damaged but rather translucent)... the containers imo look realy flat and are too new (saturated), but i like the idea of container obstacle/labirynth very much.

edit: there is a 'modify' button in top right corner of your post.

Offline Sly

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 03:00:32 pm
I did some recoloring not sure if it is better.  ???

Edit: Added gif comparison.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 03:07:26 pm by Sly »
No zombies here.

Offline Afr0Blu3

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 03:28:31 pm
@Sly: I like the .gif comparison. It looks like everyone's gone home and turned the lights off when you watch it. It is an improvement though.

I've also tried my hand at a recolour. Remembered the tone of the game and decided to destaurate things a little and play with hues. Also rearranged the crates a little and added two warning posters to the loading bay and a calendar above the desk.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 04:58:26 pm
What sort of crates are they? I looked at some pictures of shipping containers to show you how you can shade them so they read better.

Notice how the sides are darker than the top. This helps to show that the two sides are angled differently. Secondly, the base color is uniform on each of the sides, which makes them look flat as they should be. Once I had that established, I started adding the details. I've used brighter colors for the details on the top than on the sides to preserve the difference in brightness between the two sides. Once I'd put the details in, I mixed in some other colors for variation. I haven't used the darkest colors much, just for shading in the darkest parts and for emphasizing holes and sharp corners.

Hope that helps. :)

Offline Sly

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 07:44:37 pm
That is perfect Arachne! This is pretty much the style I've been working with awhile now and those crates are sexy.
No zombies here.

Offline Kaito

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 07:47:47 pm
This kind of pixel art reminds me pokemon tilesets hehe...

Offline Afr0Blu3

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 09:05:21 pm
Well, my new crates aren't quite as good as Arachne's, but I think they're an improvement. Hopefully my skills can only improve, right? ^^;

New version with new crates.