AuthorTopic: Nes Portraits + beginning of mock up  (Read 7778 times)

Offline IvanX

• Blink Blink
    • View Profile

Re: Nes Portraits + beginning of mock up

Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 02:10:03 am
She looks old?
Heh, not nessisarly my intention, I'll lok into that.

Also

Update on run

Offline VDX

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 03:52:59 am
It may be her hair that looks like an old aunt's hairstyle.

And why oh why do I think of Kramer from Seinfeld(Spelled wrong.) when I look at your second char. XD

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 05:17:53 am
The dark line in the running ani kinda reads as a mouth to me, which makes the whole head feel boxy. After looking at it a while, I realized it was the line seperating the head from the neck, but it took me a while to get that.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 06:28:55 am

The portrait suggested her hair take quite some volume in front of her forehead, but you rendered the sprite with something much "flatter". I'd get rid of the "non-feature" horizontal and vertical lines of her face, and use some shading to distinguish neck from head. I'm not convinced by the dark brown as an outline colour here, either.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 08:14:00 am
Her turning her head while the hair keeps still looks weird to me! I can understand how it'd work, but the animation result is weird. I suggest she keeps looking forward while running! Find other things about the head to animate. Maybe a hair bounce?

Oh, also I feel that her feet travel a bit slowly when they're touching the ground. Make sure to try and match her walking tempo with her in-game moving speed.
' _ '

Offline IvanX

• Blink Blink
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 08:29:42 am
haha,
I was just working on a hair bounce, aaaand...

...there it is. Honestly, I think its too much bounce for such a calm looking run, So I might need to fix that. >_>

* Quick edit*

I figured out the magic of moving the head a single pixel to the left and speeding the animation up a bit.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 08:57:43 am by IvanX »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 09:38:15 am

A small edit, my first try to match NES requirement. I notice that you're using 4 colours for your sprite, which is unfortunately one too much. I split in two palettes, one with shades of "pink" and the other with shades of green+brown with the hope that this allow easier reuse. You'll note that the green eyes are barely noticeable (though the "green layer sprite" can show them anyway).

Note: I haven't checked that dark-green and dark-pink I used exist in the NES palette, though. Total is 3 sprites per scanline unless I'm mistaken.