AuthorTopic: Nes Portraits + beginning of mock up  (Read 7784 times)

Offline IvanX

• Blink Blink
    • View Profile

Nes Portraits + beginning of mock up

on: August 04, 2010, 06:52:20 am

Hopefully I'm within the nes restrictions.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:15:51 am by IvanX »

Offline Kasumi

• View Profile

Re: Nes Portraits

Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 09:57:33 pm
Short answer: You are under NES restrictions, but not without sprite overlays on three of them.

Optional long answer:

For backgrounds it's: 4 colors per 16x16 region. 4 palettes of 4 colors, but one of the colors must be used in all 4 palettes.

For sprites, 3 colors per 8x8 sprite. 4 palettes of 3 colors with transparency. Because sprites can be overlaid with transparency, one can get more colors in a region by overlaying sprites, but there are only 64 sprites and usually they're not all used for overlays during gameplay.

Here is how your first portrait would be constructed with sprite overlays:

It uses six sprites, one background palette, one sprite palette. The purple represents unused palette colors.

The guy on the pink background would need sprites anywhere there's white.

The dog works on only one background palette since it's only four colors throughout.

The rightmost portrait would need a lot of sprites. If you use sprites to overlay as the hair color, it's a lot. (I don't have time to get out my magnifying glass to see exactly how many at the moment.) For Green it's a lot because it's the color surrounding the head. For the bright skintone, still a lot, etc. The color used for the shirt looks like fewer, but since it's spaced all over it's probably be quite a few. This is the one I'd suggest rethinking if this were for an NES game.
I make actual NES games. Thus, I'm the unofficial forum dealer of too much information about the NES

Offline IvanX

• Blink Blink
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 12:18:08 am
OK, correct this if I'm wrong.

1. On the first, I'm allowed two extra colors via sprite overlays. Without the overlay, I would have to remove a single color.

2. Not quite getting why sprites are needed for whites.

3. The dog is perfectly within restriction then.

4. He has one too many colors, much like the first girl, right. But I could possibly swap the black with the brown and have him fine then.

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 12:50:44 am
To make your life easier, you could just reference the portraits in MegaMan games, count the colors they use, and use that as a guide.

Offline sorex

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 11:55:06 am
2. Not quite getting why sprites are needed for whites.

because the white in the eyes is just one color too much.

you could replace the purple background with a white one and you're safe aswell

Edit: it could be like this... I left the white eyes as they come out the best like that, you still have a sub pallet left for extra color in the surrounding gfx

Edit2: just noticed I screwed up the last picture, it's already 4 colors but it doesn't use the green as in the pallet, but I guess you get the idea
and could setup sub pallet 4 for that one as a duplicate of sub pallet 1 and replace the green with black.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 12:25:26 pm by sorex »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 01:01:53 pm
I'd say for a 32x32 square like this, you could probably use coding tricks so that you actually render what you want as long as you remain below 8 colours per character and that you don't try to put all those characters fully coloured next to each other (as you're only granted 8 sprites per scan line).

I'd say it would be a pitty to turn your lovely portraits into something less colourful as sorex exampled. If you *really* need to show them horizontally (e.g. character select), you can easily keep the selected character with full colours and the other ones in a more "monochrome" (no sprite, all using the same palette, giving you more palettes for the rest).

Offline Kasumi

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 06:28:47 pm
I'd say for a 32x32 square like this, you could probably use coding tricks so that you actually render what you want as long as you remain below 8 colours per character and that you don't try to put all those characters fully coloured next to each other (as you're only granted 8 sprites per scan line).

NES can't render whatever with coding tricks. Game viable tricks only work per scanline, and each 16 x 1 pixel area would still be limited to 4 colors. And it's difficult to change the palette between scanlines, it requires extraordinarily well timed code. Sprite overlays require nothing fancy, but it'd be better to remain below 7 colors per portrait (4 of a background palette, 3 for a sprite palette), not eight, and the sprite palette colors would need to be used sparingly.

All four of these could be displayed as is, on screen together, horizontally, using all four background palettes, and one sprite palette, without running into the sprites per scanline issue. The first would use six sprites, the second would use four, the third none, and the fourth would use 12. They are also not 32 x 32, which only means they'd have to be spaced a little different to get them all together.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 06:34:20 pm by Kasumi »
I make actual NES games. Thus, I'm the unofficial forum dealer of too much information about the NES

Offline IvanX

• Blink Blink
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 01:24:23 am
So I tried to take into consideration the restrictions and I came up to these, as well as starting on the characters' sprites.

Offline IvanX

• Blink Blink
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 04:05:38 am
*Kinda update*

Worked an a quick, uninspired mockup, mostly to try out tiles for the first time.
The HUD looked ugly to be honest, so I left it out until I revise it.

*Edit*
Starting smexy run cycle

« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:11:44 am by IvanX »

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Re: Nes Portraits + beginning of mock up

Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 01:53:55 am
Why not just have the characters that aren't selected grayscaled and only the selected portrait has full color.  Btw is the girl an old women?  Because she looks like one.