AuthorTopic: RPG-Type Sprites  (Read 4533 times)

Offline Zubodybop

• View Profile

RPG-Type Sprites

on: August 03, 2010, 02:47:05 pm

I'm basically just trying to make some characters for an RPG battle type thing, and I just want to make sure I've got the basics and polish down on the idle poses.

I've gotten a lot better since I first started making these, and I just want them to be the best they could be.  ;D

Here's an attempt at a slashing animation as well:

Thanks.  :y:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 10:50:17 pm by Zubodybop »

Offline mrblu

• View Profile

Re: RPG-Type Sprites

Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 03:45:00 pm
He looks like he's drumming.

Offline Zubodybop

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 04:49:50 pm
I tried to make it look a little more violent. What do you think? All I really did was change some of the frame times, so if it still looks weird, I'll try to see what I can do with some edits.

Offline Singularity

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 09:34:44 pm
It's looking good. I think that the instinct to smooth out the animation over more frames might be betraying you...
It's slowing down the attack substantially. I'd consider reducing the attacking portion to two frames; just 1 for prep and 1 for the actual swing.

...I'm also concerned about the direction of the swing. The topdown frontal slash itself seems to throw the character out of balance. All the games I can find for resources implement the slash animation horizontally. This does two things:
1. It extends your attacks reach a little farther.
2. Your knife's animation ends very close to where it starts.

Just my two cents.  :P
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 09:41:03 pm by Singularity »

Offline Zubodybop

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 10:49:29 pm
Hmm. Does it look like he's swinging both the swords? The goal was to only be swinging one sword for the first slash, and to alternate for the next 3 slashes.

So you think the animation might be too many frames for use in game? I'll see what I can do about that. I'll try to see if I can find a balance between the smoothness and speed.

Hmm. You're absolutely right about the horizontal slash giving the character more range. I'll try to make a horizontal slash and see how that turns out. Thanks for the crit!

EDIT: I took out two frames of the existing animation, and it does look a bit better in terms of attack speed and still smooth:

« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 11:58:46 pm by Zubodybop »

Offline hopoo

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 08:10:55 am
Hmm. Does it look like he's swinging both the swords? The goal was to only be swinging one sword for the first slash, and to alternate for the next 3 slashes.

So you think the animation might be too many frames for use in game? I'll see what I can do about that. I'll try to see if I can find a balance between the smoothness and speed.

Hmm. You're absolutely right about the horizontal slash giving the character more range. I'll try to make a horizontal slash and see how that turns out. Thanks for the crit!

EDIT: I took out two frames of the existing animation, and it does look a bit better in terms of attack speed and still smooth:

Hey, looking good so far! A few critiques;

-You said that you wanted it to be a one handed slash, yet it looks like hes using both his hands; if you are using one hand, the other hand will naturally go the other direction (see edit)

-Your animation is TOO smooth between too many similar frames and motion blur (strange idea, I know! but you CAN be too smooth, which loses IMPACT and force needed for a good slash :-D)

-You detailed before you finished the animation; i'd stray away from that simply because its such a chore to have to constantly redraw details and i tend to force myself to rotate and slightly readjust existing frames rather then new ones, which is a big nono for believable animations. just use blobbies until you are satisfied with your animation

-Don't be afraid to over-exaggerate; humans being are a lot more dramatic then what we think in our heads!

-Act out your actions in real life! You'll notice small things that you don't think about, like how your arms and legs move naturally.

a demonstration

Its far from perfect, but it conveys action a bit better and leads up for a much better combo attack (assuming that's what your goal will eventually be)

Keep working hard; a good animation can truly make anything look beautiful.

Offline Zubodybop

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 12:55:22 pm
Whoa. That's some good critique. I think you hit the nail on the head. I was editing the existing sprites, and that definitely does limit me. His left arm does move back, but I think the pose just makes it terribly hard to see it. I really like that sample animation you made.

I'll see if I can remake this animation so it is a bit more like that. After acting out the action a few times, trying to see how I could add more slashes onto it, it felt a bit awkward in it's current form. I'll scrap this one and restart and see what I can do with it. Thanks for the sample. That should really help in getting the motion down. I think the guy is stepping with the wrong foot, but the concept is helping me. ;D

EDIT:

Something like this perhaps?

I decided doing a stab first would make for a better combo. Just need to make sure I'm on the right track before adding the third slice and finishing up the animation. :D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 01:24:40 am by Zubodybop »