AuthorTopic: Adventure  (Read 4923 times)

Offline bonofthedead

• View Profile

Adventure

on: July 31, 2010, 09:21:59 pm
I've been bored lately and came up with this after a ten minute doodle. I like where it's going, but I can't figure out how to color it. I saw the thread with the cave explorer using EGA colors. I liked the palette, but I don't really know how to color with it.

There's my attempt, but it just doesn't look right. It's very flat. Does anyone have advice on how to color with this palette?

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Re: Adventure

Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 11:15:28 pm
it's going to be hard to make it detailed and readable when it's so damn small...It looks ok right now, have you tried skipping on the mouth and just adding eyes? Why is he half-way crouching?

Offline bonofthedead

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 11:28:19 pm
It's supposed to be a bit crouched, or alert. And as of adding a mouth, I didn't add one, or a mouth. It's kind of a side view face. Like the second LOZ.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 09:44:55 am
I'm not completely sure what you're wanting to do with the scattered blue pixels on the face, but I'm almost certain that it doesn't work - definitely not at this background though.

I also think your little character needs context before we can judge its quality. Right now it looks like a figure with bent knees so you got that down. Context would help in helping us help you help yourself
' _ '

Offline bonofthedead

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 10:40:44 pm
I'm not completely sure what you're wanting to do with the scattered blue pixels on the face, but I'm almost certain that it doesn't work - definitely not at this background though.

I also think your little character needs context before we can judge its quality. Right now it looks like a figure with bent knees so you got that down. Context would help in helping us help you help yourself

Well, I was trying to use blues as shadows, but I can't figure it out. I'm still having trouble with it. So, I took the picture I drew and tried to draw it on paper.

I think I drew her a bit to hunched. Well, way to hunched. But that's what I was going for kind of. I hope that helps.

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 12:41:40 am
Actually, I think that pose is alot better. It actually makes more sense, as if the character was preparing to jump. I think your pixel should match the drawing more closely like that.

On the pixel, I thought you were trying to use the blue as antialias, which didnt work btw.

Offline bonofthedead

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 01:39:51 am

Is this any better? I think it looks less stiff. I gave the coloring another try as well.

Offline vinegarstroke

• I'm gorgeous
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 01:50:49 am
does the sprite have to be that size?

if not, maybe you could make the head a little bigger to allow some more detail.

the brown pixel under the nose looks a little bit like a moustache, perhaps bin it?

i really like the style of your sketch, it's a shame that the small sprite size can't do it justice.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 01:52:53 am by vinegarstroke »

Offline bonofthedead

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 03:50:18 am
does the sprite have to be that size?

if not, maybe you could make the head a little bigger to allow some more detail.

the brown pixel under the nose looks a little bit like a moustache, perhaps bin it?

i really like the style of your sketch, it's a shame that the small sprite size can't do it justice.

Well, I originally wanted it to be small. I don't know why, I just though it might be easier to draw and color. And the pixel under the noise is more of the hair, but since it's a side view, I don't see why I put it there. And bigger? I made it bigger, then refined it. I think it's pretty snazzy. Still a little weird though.