AuthorTopic: [New] first fighter sprite.  (Read 7848 times)

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

[New] first fighter sprite.

on: April 03, 2006, 12:18:11 am
Here's a new fighter I've just started to work on.
-> -> ->
The hands are going to be either metal or stone, I haven't decided yet.

[UPDATE 1]
Alright I've gotten better smoother looking lines in, but I'm not sure if I want to give him a shirt or not.

[UPDATE 2]
Ok, small hair update.

[UPDATE 3]
Alright I moved down to the legs and started on some folds at the feet, as well as made some feet.
I'm almost satisfied with the main outline.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 12:45:59 am by Souly »

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Re: [New] first fighter sprite.

Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 02:08:50 am
I actually liked the other design better, much more original, not that this is bad ^_^, his right leg looks weird, as if it's trying to be baggy; whereas his left pant leg is thin the whole way down. Also looks as if he has no elbows, but I don't want to nitpick too bad ^^;

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 02:32:41 am
I liked the old character more as well, but I just couldn't do it.  :-[
Anyways... As for his legs, I was trying to do a slouch sort of deal due to his heavy hands.

Oh yeah, I began to color and shade it.

I'm pretty sure I failed at the skin though...

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 02:45:34 am
yes you failed at the skin... those skintones aren't working, they are barely contrasted so you can't see any depth at all >>;;
try some hue shifting instead of just makeing the color darker for the shades
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 03:14:25 am
Alright, I think I may have a better skin tone now.

Also changed the color of the stones.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 03:20:35 am by Souly »

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 03:27:51 am
Dude, be drastic and try something alot darker with more contrast. I thought he was wearing a shirt before... As i've said on PJ, there's a shadow that goes down his chest like a crease and therefore makes it look more like a shirt.

Offline Kyle

• Balla
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 03:34:19 am
Here's an edit showing a better palet and more contrast in shading. I had trouble on the chest shading, though.

Also, the lineart could use changing, I didn't edit it.

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 03:52:02 am
That's perty good, Kyle, but, uh... that palette on the side, the top pink row doesn't seem to be the one you used to shade the skin (and besides that, you only used three of them).

So, uh, is that your "universal" sort of palette up there?

yosh64

Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 05:39:39 am
hey

@Souly: First of all I think this is a pretty cool character design. But gees, I think you like to give yourself a challenge? Well the light position (well where I thought it was to be), I think is quite a tricky one. I've done an edit for your, and not quite sure I pulled it off. Hope you don't mind? Anyhows maybe I'll continue and edit the rest. Hmm, I also think he may need more room around his crutch? looks a bit odd?  I dunno, maybe this is some sort of style thing?

I just edited the body, as to how I saw the light direction AND I also modified the pallete some what. Again I'm hosting my images at http://www.imageshack.us, so sorry if they go down or something, I'll have to get my webspace up again soon.

I thought I'd give (what I think to be) a few tips. Well before adding details and such, I thinks you should define the lighting and form, then add the detail based on the light. Well I think your current color pallete shades would have made this very difficult for you, so FIRSTLY ensure you get the shades of your color pallete right.

edit:

I edited the rest now, I really hope you don't mind? I tried to stick to your lines, well reshaped the hands just a tad AND still not very happy with em. Anyhows I hope it helps ya. :-\

another edit: (+ more)
<- more contrast <- buffed <- worked his arms (didn't bother with new post)
Well just edited a few more lil things that were niggling me. :) <- ahh just done another lil edit to pants, but replaced last edit here <- edited and replaced again, just lighten'd the black shades :)

cyas
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 09:24:19 am by yosh64 »

Offline Kyle

• Balla
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 12:45:36 pm
That's perty good, Kyle, but, uh... that palette on the side, the top pink row doesn't seem to be the one you used to shade the skin (and besides that, you only used three of them).

So, uh, is that your "universal" sort of palette up there?
Actually, I didn't use any of those colors to the left, I just forgot to delete it. And yes, that is my universal palet. I add on to it every now and then.