AuthorTopic: Palette cycling is back !  (Read 9743 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Palette cycling is back !

Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 05:17:44 pm
I doubt he made his tools, but if you write an email and ask, it would be interesting to ask if he could explain the general process he used to create these effects.
I have a general idea of how I think he went to do it but it would be nice to hear it from him if possible.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 02:41:19 am
E-mail sent.

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 10:54:06 am
Amazing! I too am interested in how the whole thing was made, and what were the tools used.

I would definitely buy an LCD painting with these!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 11:02:05 am by johnnyspade »
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 09:24:39 pm
Mark wrote back and he'd be interested in doing the interview. He's doing a different Q&A tomorrow and if we have unanswered questions after that, we should compile them here in this thread and I'll conduct the interview soon. So if you have some ideas, write in. Trust me to ask the sensible questions, naturally, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 11:02:38 pm
Helm: That is awesome news. I'm really curious about how he went about doing these, because to me it's all sorcery and black magic. And sugary prettiness in that Kinkade sort of way.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 11:31:33 pm
I love these works. I really missed this whole era of gaming. When I see it now I'm blown away; so much atmosphere and mood. It's brilliant!

I am VERY interested to know his process for creating these. I spent a little time looking at them last trying to figure it out, but I didn't get very far  :lol:

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 02:35:17 am
http://www.effectgames.com/effect/article.psp.html/joe/Q_A_with_Mark_J_Ferrari

Someone just posted this on a Grafx2 bug report for color cycling; I presume this is the 'different Q+A' you referred to, Helm.

All in DPaint apparently, with the aid of advanced technical ignorance (to paraphrase Mark's words) and excessive amounts of time. In particular the way he describes making some of the rain effects, those would be much easier to make with a dedicated tool.

Perhaps it warrants more in-depthness on technique, but the essential details of the method are there.

technique question:
* when you have two adjacent color-cycling areas (with the dithered mixing to disguise the transition), do those cycles need to be synchronized or can you get away with having them cycle asynchronously? (WRT either the 'phase' (when the cycles start) or the length of the cycling range)
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.