AuthorTopic: Skecthes  (Read 7462 times)

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Skecthes

on: July 26, 2010, 03:39:04 pm
So, about four weeks or so ago I started doing some drawing. I was tying to do one or so every two or three days. Then two weeks ago vacation happened and I didn't do any drawing. However, I was able to snag a video of one before I left and here it is:

I didn't think to look for a reference for this one. I can't do clothes folds for squat. I hate working on the face because I think I got it right and then I think twice or I mess it up working on something else. The leg on the left side is a bit short. I think my arm  structure is off. Oh yeah, and my hands suck. The bear on the right was done quick and just for fun. And also for a bit of shoe practice. I was going for a slight star trek feel and flopped it. I'll post the rest later.

Any CnC?

Offline MegaLeon

• View Profile

Re: Skecthes

Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 03:23:56 pm
What could I say... You're the first one admitting that it isn''t the best drawing in the world.
Buy some anatomy books and start hammering it.
But, most of all, keep drawing.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 04:43:59 pm
main crits (anatomy and proportion issues aside, I think the main problem is the salute doesn't look like a salute):

Also, what MegaLeon said (keep drawing). Take a look at all body parts and make comparisons between their individual lenghts/widths/etc. (I'm still learning this myself so the proportions in my dummy above may be a bit off as well).
Learn to construct your figures from basic shapes and volumes and yes, use reference images to check how stuff looks.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 08:16:36 pm
Hey guys thanks! I am always unsure about the feet. I have seen many styles that have the feet offset, and also that have the feet straight in line. Which one do I use? Here's a few more:

Admittedly a Dragon Quest 9 martial artist. Before you think it, I'm sure a trace would look much, much better. I am not good with clothes at all. And I don't know wether or not to add, or where to add texture on muscles and arms. (Even though I DO have a tutorial on the subject, I'm just not sure where for every angle.) Again, all of these will have no neck. Not sure how to add it in.

The arms bother me here. They both don't have the same likeness to them. So they're not correct physically. I also don't know whether or not to leave them as seperate shapes or connect them to the chest. Also hands and guns. I suck at both. He's supposed to be wearing Flip-Flops so that's why his ankles are shown. That line above his ankle is supposed to be a sock line.

This is actually my second female sketch attempt. The page ripped where I was re-re-re-drawing the first one's face, so I made this one. Again, trying another salute. I have a manga book that I was trying to take tips from. Smaller legs, thinner arms, thick hips, small shoulders, etc. Again, one arm is bigger then the other. What's a good way to check proportions? Head size? Or is that in my loomis books  somewhere and I forgot about it, again. Feet and hands are killing me.

Any CnC?

Offline Photocopier

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 10:07:43 pm
Why are all your pictures so small? don't be afraid to draw someone that fits a full page

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 10:27:37 pm
I am always unsure about the feet. I have seen many styles that have the feet offset, and also that have the feet straight in line. Which one do I use?
I'm afraid there is no easy answer to that question. It depends on many things: the pose of the character, the form of the surface he's standing on, the perspective and eye-level just to name a few. In that current "straight from the side" perspective you're using and without any irregularities in the ground surface and assuming your characters are standing with both feet on the ground however, the feet should be at the same level.

Offline Redshrike

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 04:31:36 pm
I would suggest against drawing on lined/notebook paper.  It might feel normal now, but once you start drawing on unlined, white paper you'll have trouble going back.  Notebook paper is rather dark in color, soft, a little translucent and the lines can easily mess with your drawing in ways you might not notice (see how the characters tend to be an even number of lines tall?  That may be intentional, I suppose, but it's just one example).  Save that for doodles during class.  If you want to draw something more than that, use plain white paper and draw at a larger size.  It's just better all around.  You can see details better, you can make changes better, and it'll look better in a scan.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 04:14:07 am
Why are all your pictures so small?

Because I always would like to pixel them. Having a sprite the size of a page would be a rather very large sprite. These are easily at least 200 pixels plus in size both ways.

@Redshrike: I thought about doing that. I really did. When I went looking though, I couldn't find anything that I liked. Granted, I didn't look very long because I didn't have a lot of time, but still, I did look. Besids, I still don't think I'd get used to drawing without lines. So I'd probably have to slip a lined paper over/under a page or something like that. And I don't have classes. I use those notebooks to write down game development ideas as well.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 04:52:51 am
Why are all your pictures so small?

Because I always would like to pixel them. Having a sprite the size of a page would be a rather very large sprite. These are easily at least 200 pixels plus in size both ways.
That is not a problem, at all... you can simply resize the images to fit the size of an appropriate sprite...