AuthorTopic: [WIP] Character Sprite for Online RPG, and Tiles. Crits plz!  (Read 9851 times)

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

WIP character sprite :

Currently working on a sprite for that tileset, also made by me.. Im not really sure how to design the character sprites :O.
I want to go with a semi-realistic looking sprite, not to manga/anime :o.. Or perhaps some kind of mix.. Im having a really hard time with the head and arms :O.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile
on the spirte, it seems the lower half is too weeny to support the upper half of the body. tree trunks look good but the sphere-shaped foliage could be less uniform.

Offline theorb77

• View Profile
I'd say the palette looks nice; the leaves on the trees especially read well.  The grass feels pretty good, but reads a little like green felt laid out on a hardwood floor.  I think the earth could use a clumpier look to match the grass; the long thin horizontal lines are what are reading as wood to me.

I'm not sure how you're doing it, but the sprite's shoulders look like they're next to his ears.  If I saw that guy in real life, I'd tell him to relax.

A pretty solid piece, I think.  A little tweaking and I think you'll have something great.

Offline buddy90

• View Profile
yeah, i love this too. just a few tweaks and this will be gorgeous.

for the background...
I suggest working on the shape of the roots of the bent tree, it looks more like a mop. Try seperating the roots on that one.
On the other tree, make the trunk taller and skinner.
And the dirt, the texture is a little noisy, and the color is kind of dark. I would would suggest more of a tone like the character's skin.

the character...
Generally, it's difficult to portray realism in small sprites like that with that perspective. Generally, what you want to do is play with proportions.
Big heads and arms with small torsos and smaller legs tend to work well.

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Character Sprite for Online RPG, and Tiles. Crits plz!

Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 03:43:29 am
Here are some updates.. Still need help with the sprite.

If your interesting in this project you can check it out at http://orpgcreation.com.
It'll be a retro online RPG :).

Offline StarRaven

• Threadkiller
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 04:59:08 am
I really like all the different textures in the grass.

I think I liked the first sprite a lot better.

Offline tritone

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 11:12:09 pm
Hello, this is some very good stuff! Classy and sturdy all around. I'm fond of the dirt path borders. :y:

The newer player sprite is good and solid. I wouldn't mind running around as him bashing monsters.

There's kind of a problem with the dirt paths... they aren't very pleasant to look at. I've tried my hand at a different style:

The trees are tad on the floaty side, so I tossed a stronger shadow on them.

The grass not resolving against the houses is kind of noticeable. It'd probably give things oomph if you added some thick, bushy edging.

Finally for something quite nit-picky: The grass patterns are diverse and fluffy, however I think the circle-ish textures near the dirt borders kind of look like you're looking straight down on them, causing clashes against the flowers which seem to be viewed at a different perspective, as denoted by the frowny face. You could try something volumetric, like thicker/taller grass, or chunky rocks, or something. It'd strike out a possible dissonance and probably be more distinct/polished looking.

Good luck and nice work so far :)

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 10:39:58 am
Thanks for the reply.

Update on the sprite.

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 10:43:41 pm
Bump, more updates.

> > >

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 03:05:59 am
I feel that you are overtexturing some tiles, mostly the wooden walls in the house and the tree trunk I think that in the house you can easily remove one tone and it will look nearly the same, same with the tree trunk, and that is also affecting some of the sprites with cloth.

With the sprite base I find the head relative small compared to the body. Apart from that I really love how it is looking : D!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 03:17:08 am by Kren »